Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for places to stay in NH in early Oct along route to ME from VA

Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family (includes two kids, ages 4 and 6) is heading up to Acadia NP from the Shenandoah Valley in VA. We need to arrive at Acadia on Saturday and plan on leaving on Thursday afternoon. We'd like to drive about 7 or 8 hours Thursday and then spend Friday driving to NH or VT, stay Friday night somewhere up there and then head to ME on Saturday. On Friday, we're interested in a scenic drive, a couple of short hikes and a nice place to stay that will let us stay one night on a Friday (I'm having trouble with the one night stay). It would be great to stay in a little town where we would be able to walk to dinner and ice cream. We prefer something a little different from a chain hotel but nothing fancy (see note above about 2 kids...).

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM
LJ

While it is NOT right in town, the Town and Country Motor Inn www.townandcountryinn.com has everything else you are looking for. It is in Gorham New Hampshire which is at the entry point to Mt. Washington (and near to Santa's Village and 6-Gun City, too if you are keen on that sort of diversion for kids).

The town of Gorham is a hiker's base paradise, charming with several good restaurants (Mr Pizza, not a chain but a good-old-fashioned Mom and Pop diner with a liquor license!), a stand for home-made ice cream and backs on to a charming burbling stream where you can stroll.

It is our go-to-with kids fave in this area.

Happy trails!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Gorham, NH is just not on the way!

Depending on where you are in Shenandoah Valley, 7-8 hours, with no traffic and no stops, will get you about as far as the Massachusetts border.

So, a logical place to stop for the night may be Sturbridge, MA (home of Old Sturbridge Village). You can check TripAdvisor for hotels/reviews. Or, with breaks along the way, you may prefer to stay over in the Hartford, CT area.

The next day, you'd be only 5-6 hours from Bar Harbor, so would be able to make the trip in two days, rather than three.

If you're going to stop overnight twice, though, you may want to consider Jersey City, and taking the kids to the Statue of Liberty, then an overnight in Portsmouth, NH, a lovely seaport town with gardens, wonderful ice cream and family restaurants, and a terrific children's museum

http://www.childrens-museum.org/cmnh/

There's a Marriott Courtyard, Doubletree, etc., in Jersey City, and there are often ridiculously low rates on Hotwire for 4* hotels in that area.

We recently stayed at the (very nice) Anchorage Inn in Portsmouth for a great rate through EasyclickTravel.com All rooms have fridge and microwave (very handy), and there was a nice indoor pool.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
LJ

Oh, sorry, I thought the poster WANTED to meander, take 3 days and see NH and Vermont. My bad!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

We are looking for a little meandering, expecially Friday, and wanted to spend a little time in New Hampshire since it's not too out of the way (and keeps us away from I-95). Thanks for your help, the suggestion of the Town and Country Inn was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for and Mount Washington was on our list of possibilities. This is such a great place to come for information!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM

"Oh, sorry, I thought the poster WANTED to meander, take 3 days and see NH and Vermont. My bad!"

So did I!

But as it happens, I went up to Maine a couuple weeks ago from DC area and Sturbridge, MA is exactly where I stopped, mostly becuase that's where I was when it got dark, not by design. Just over 7 hours, although I drive faster than 65.

But from Shen Valley 81 to Binghampton, then over past Albany to Bennington, VT would be about 7-8 hours. If you were going direct to Bar Harbor that might not be the best, but to get to a base in VT for Friday, that should work just fine barring any major traffic jams on 81 N around Harrisburg or Scranton (there was some construction around Scranton as of 3 weeks ago)

Scenic drive-Rte 100 N in VT to Rte 4 E to Hanover NH, N on 10 to Woodsville, then E on 112 to Conway, then N on 16 puts you in Gorham (or a little farther east to Bethel.

Then either Gorham, NH or Bethel, ME would be good.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM

When we head to Boston or beyond we take I-81 from Woodstock to I-84 near Scranton and 84 right up. Sturbridge is about eight hours from here.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:03 AM

I-84 as far as Boston that is.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Travelfamilyva, try this one as well in Gorham. I checked a couple others in Gorham (I have nothing better to do right now!) and they had plenty of availablity for one night on both Fridays in early October (2nd and 9th).

http://www.topnotchinn.com/
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM

A correction, I84 goes into Sturbridge. We then take 90 into Boston.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM

FYI - the Childrens Museum has been relocated from Portsmouth to Dover, NH