Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Oakland Int. to SF Financial dist. transportation

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the best way to get from Oakland airport to a hotel in the Financial district? We'll have suitcases. We will need a car, but we don't have to have it until the 3rd day of our trip. I've seen the difficulty of parking, so I'm wondering if keeping the car for the entire visit is worth it. Also, we will have fairly large suitcases, so I'm not sure public transportation is the way to go. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:03 AM

Take Super Shuttle or another van service into the city. It will probably cost you about $40.00. Don't rent a car until you absolutely need to because it is expensive to park your car at the hotel and it is expensive to park your car outside of your hotel (Wharf), etc.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:35 AM

Public trasnportation is fairly easy. You take a shuttle bus to BART and BART directly to the financial district. Unless you are arriving during rush hour, luggage is not much of a struggle on BART.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. There are 4 of us and I checked on the shuttle. It would run $75 one way. I can rent a car for 4 days for $100. We're planning on going to Montery one day anyway. I saw on the BFT website that we could park at the Japan Center for about $15. We're arriving on Thur. Parking on the weekeknd is free if you can find a spot, isn't it? We're staying at the Harbor Court Hotel in the financial district...So, does this plan seem feasible?
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:14 PM
SAB

If you intend to park the car downtown early on Saturday and not move it until Sunday evening you might get by. Some streets downtown do have meters on Saturday so be careful of that. If you intend to use the car on the weekend, finding street parking is exremely difficult.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:49 PM

If you are staying the Financial District and thinking of parking your car in Japantown, you might as well park your car on 46th Ave. either near the zoo or near the N Judah line. The street car will take you back directly to the Financial District and the parking will be free.