Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Non-Disney Florida Family Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Steve

I have taken my family to Disney World 2 out of the last 3 years. I am interested in a Florida vacation next April, but would like to do something other than the theme park vacation. My wife and I have two children ages 8 and 13. Any suggestions on a non-Disney/non-theme park vacation?

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Anon

We took the kids to FL for a non Disney vaca and stopped at Weekie Watchie, Cyprus Gardens, Silver Springs,Busch Gardens, spent a week at the beach....

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 07:36 AM
tobey

We like to stay in Pompano Beach - just north of Fort Lauderdale, but quieter and more family-oriented - there's a Holiday Inn on the beach that attracts lots of families. From there it's not far to the Keys (snorkelling, glass-bottom boats, fishing, "Theatre of the Sea") or to the Everglades (real wildlife - not yet owned by Disney!).

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 11:38 AM
ellen

Cape Canaveral is a great place to tour if space exploration is of interest to you. Many Europeans,especially Germans,like to visit here.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 01:00 PM
jim

I second the Cape Canaveral recommendation, especially if your kids are into rockets, etc. It might be a little boring for teenagers, however, who seemed to be bored by everything (especially their parents). From Canaveral, you can head south to the beaches -- I recommend Melbourne Beach, which is unpopulated. Looking for more honky-tonk action? Go to Cocoa Beach.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Gary

I'm so old, my father took us on vacations to Florida before there was such a thing as Disney World. But we always had a great time. Cape Canaveral (then was still Cape Kennedy) was a great visit and tour--i revisited recently and found it just as impressive as wgen I was fourteen. Cypress Gardens was fun.

During visits in recent years I've marveled at how wonderful the Florida beaches are--especially compared to many here in SoCal. I really like the beaches south of Melbourne--not much to do, but beautiful sand, warm water, and very peaceful. If you and your family are interested in baseball, you'll be too late for spring training, but the Florida rookie leagues will be playing all over the state.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 03:40 PM
David

Airboat ride on the St. Johns river!! Approx. 45 minutes from Orlando

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 01:01 PM
rex

Try St. Augustine just south of Jacksonville. Beautiful, historic, great beaches, some goofy attractions for the kids. Then bolt over on I-10 to Wakulla Springs near Talahassee. Gorgeous fresh water springs and tours on glass bottom boats--try a night at the Wakulla Lodge, a small Mediterranean-style Inn said to be haunted. From there you could head over to the panhandle to Ft. Walton Beach, some of the clearest water and whitest sand in the sate, truly Caribbean-like.
Hope that helps!