Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggestions for Mom and Child Trip in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggestions-for-mom-and-child-trip-in-february-817042/)

lss1 Dec 8th, 2009 11:32 AM

Suggestions for Mom and Child Trip in February

Hi! I am looking for a warm location to spend the first week in Feb. with a six year old. I would prefer to stay in the US, since my son doesn't have a passport yet. Any suggestions??
Mainly I am looking for warm places and beaches!!

Thanks!

emalloy Dec 8th, 2009 11:34 AM

Sanibel or Captiva in Florida would fill the bill or a bit farther south in the Keys.

sf7307 Dec 8th, 2009 11:40 AM

Hawaii.

spirobulldog Dec 8th, 2009 12:04 PM

Florida or San Diego. San Diego has Zoo, Wild Animal Park, maybe even visit Legoland, etc. Beaches will be cold about anywhere you go.

sf7307 Dec 8th, 2009 12:29 PM

<<<Beaches will be cold about anywhere you go.>>>

I assume this means "in California" because the beaches in Hawaii will not be cold.

NewbE Dec 8th, 2009 12:41 PM

If you can swing Hawaii, do that! Otherwise, I would suggest Naples or Sanibel or the Florida Keys. Anything north of Naples might well be chilly in Feb, although if you're hardy, consider Sarasota/Lido Key/Siesta Key. The Ringling museum in Sarasota is cool and there's Mote Marine Lab and Aquarium, too.

tchoiniere Dec 8th, 2009 02:04 PM

I agree with Newbe. Sarasota may work but there is no guarantee of warm weather. Could be. Same goes for San Diego.

spirobulldog Dec 8th, 2009 03:07 PM

Every six year old I have been around thinks the water is cold, unless they have done a lot of swimming. They automatically expect it to be bath water warm. The exception to this might be in Hawaii. But even then, isn't the water around 78? That is cool in my book, not cold, but cool. We live in Oklahoma and swim in 85-90 degree water all summer long in the pool, so perhaps we are wimps. I would imagine Hawaii would offer the warmest and the most beaches, since that is mainly what you are interested in. I was thinking San Diego would be far more interesting for a 6 year old. You would probably be safe with weather in Florida or SD, but nothing is guaranteed. It is also my understanding the the waters in Hawaii are most violent in February, so lots of things to consider. Any of it sounds great to me.

sf7307 Dec 8th, 2009 03:48 PM

<<<It is also my understanding the the waters in Hawaii are most violent in February>>>

that totally depends where you are. For example, you can go in the ocean in Waikiki, but not at the North Shore beaches (there's a reason those are world-class surfing destinations :-) )

nytraveler Dec 8th, 2009 04:44 PM

In the US I think your choices are Hawaii or the Keys to be sure of having beach weather. In Feb north Fl can often be too chilly for swimming (at least to Floridians). And no place in CA is guaranteed to be warm enough. (I've been in San Diego several times in winter and the high temps were around 70/72.

travelerfromtx Dec 8th, 2009 05:40 PM

You don't need a passport for the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix) or Puerto Rico. They would provide you with the best chance for warm water and beaches. So don't let the lack of a passport deter you from checking these places out. Look at El Conquistador in Puerto Rico or the Westin on St. John. There are many possibilities!

starrs Dec 9th, 2009 02:30 AM

Great suggestion for the US Virgin Islands. I love St. Croix.

gail Dec 9th, 2009 03:12 AM

South Florida will only 50-50 be beach weather in February - I visit my brother in West Palm Beach area every winter and when we were locked into Feb school vacation week we often did not get to the beach.

suze Dec 9th, 2009 07:13 AM

Hawaii will get you the most bang for your buck. If you can swing that go to Oahu or Maui (imo two easiest islands to get to and to get around on). Great weather in February and plenty of wonderful beaches.

California's nice but it's not likely suntanning weather in February there.