Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggestions for Memphis trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggestions-for-memphis-trip-655721/)

camoang Oct 28th, 2006 04:25 PM

Suggestions for Memphis trip

My husband and I are going to Memphis in a few weeks for a friend's wedding. We are flying in on Thursday night and the wedding isn't until 3 on Saturday so we have a day and a half to sightsee. We are renting a car so we won't have a problem with getting around.
Any suggestions on places to go or eat? Anything we definetly don't want to miss? Anywhere we should avoid?
We are planning on checking out Graceland and I'd like to see the Civil Rights Museum. How much time should we plan to spend at Graceland? Any suggestions at all would be appreciated!

annesherrod Oct 28th, 2006 06:18 PM

If I recall correctly, you can purchase tickets ahead of time for graceland. You follow a tour, with Head phones. It takes at least 2 hours. There are separate things to see there too like his car collection and jet. I would set aside at least 3 hours.
It is fun to take the little trolley around downtown. You could then stop at The Peabody for a drink or hot chocolate and see the world famous ducks. They also have a nice brunch. Go to the top of the Hotel to see the ducks "living quarters"!!
It is fun to walk dwon Belae Street day or night. I do ot recall the name of any restaurants right now.
Everyone suggests the Rendez Vous for ribs. I do not care for them at all. Too dry and tough. IMO.
Have Fun!

roy Oct 28th, 2006 06:18 PM

Half a day is more than enough time at Graceland even with the extended tour which includes the plane etc..
Beale St. with the blues places is good in the evening when they shut the street off to vehicular traffic. It's pretty mundane in the daytime. Keep an eye open for the panhandlers around there as they can be annoying. Right there also is the Rock and Soul Museum if you can handle another place with a headset on.

mah1980 Oct 28th, 2006 06:26 PM

If you click on my name, you'll find a trip report that I posted in July 2006. Or just search Memphis Trip Report and you'll find it. I discuss the Civil Rights Museum & Graceland.

Lee4 Oct 29th, 2006 06:20 AM

The Civil Rights Museum is well worth seeing--very moving. I'd allow at least an hour for it (maybe more--it's been a while since I've been there). If you want to stay in that part of town, the Rock and Soul Museum would be a good choice. It's so much fun and so intereseting. You can go through it at your own pace, once you get done with the introduction. I really enjoyed this museum; the music is great! I'm a big Elvis fan and have done Graceland once. It's certainly something to see but I can honestly say that if you're time is limited, it might be more fun to just check out things around the Beale street/downtown area and leave Graceland for another time.

A great place to eat on Beale Street is The Rum Boogie Cafe. I believe they always have live music in the evenings and the food is good. I'm not a fan of Rendevous either--the dry ribs are not for me. It is a Memphis institution, but there are lots of good places to eat in the downtown area. Have a great trip!

buongiorno Oct 29th, 2006 06:37 AM

BBQ, BBQ and more BBQ. I still think Tops has great sandwiches. Try Central BBQ for sandwiches and ribs. Go to the BBQ Shoppe or Interstate for sandwiches. Take a drive around Mud Island and look at the cool homes. Drive through Chickasaw Gardens.

iceeu2 Oct 29th, 2006 06:55 AM

oh, for sure, get your fill of bbq! And, I agree with buongirino that Tops has great sandwiches. Get a jumbo!!

Be sure to check out the ducks at The Peabody. Cool sight.

kennythecook Oct 29th, 2006 07:04 AM

If you have time, try to tour Sun studios. My family liked it better than Graceland. I don't know if Ride the Ducks operates in the fall but it is a quick and enjoyable (although somewhat cheesy) way to get a feel for the town.

Lee4 Oct 29th, 2006 04:55 PM

How do you get to Mud Island to drive around? My husband and I have been going to Memphis for years and still haven't figured that out. I'm sure we're missing the obvious!

I forgot to mention Neely's BBQ as another good food option. Yum! (If I ever have a layover at the Memphis airport, I must say I'm not upset b/c I know I can get some Neely's while I wait.) There are several locations around town.

trippinkpj Oct 29th, 2006 05:41 PM

I haven't been to Memphis, so these are my DH and DS tips as they've been there in the past year:
Ribs at the Rendevouz.
Ducks at the Peabody
Beale Street
Downtown Trolley

mgdriver Oct 29th, 2006 09:07 PM

Try these---
1) Sun Studios
2) Gibson Guitar Factory
3) Gus's Fried Chicken--"World Famous"

SharonG Oct 30th, 2006 05:46 AM

Try Cozy Corner for barbecue. Fantastic. 745 N. Parkway. Don't miss the Civil Rights Museum. Pink Palace Museum is also good. And just wandering around the Peabody. I always like Automatic Slim's for fun food. To get to Mud Island you just drive across a little bridge or I think there is a tramway.

buongiorno Oct 30th, 2006 05:57 AM

The bridge to get over to Mud Island is right near the Pyramid...it's easy to find. I also recommend Cozy Corner. It's only open for lunch. The best thing to get (and I think the only place that has it) is the BBQ'd cornish game hen...unbelievable!

mclaurie Oct 30th, 2006 06:11 AM

It's been a while, but I always enjoyed the Brooks art museum if you have time.

http://www.brooksmuseum.org/

camoang Oct 30th, 2006 04:43 PM

Thanks so much for all the great ideas...my husband is VERY excited about all the BBQ. I saw in an old guidebook that the Memphis Belle airplane is at Mud Island. Is that outdated or is it still there?

isabellasu Oct 30th, 2006 06:01 PM

The Memphis Belle is no longer at Mud Island. I did not care for Mud Island, but if you are interested in the history of the Mississippi, the river walk would be of interest.
My top picks for Memphis are:
Graceland
Sun Studios
Civil Rights Museum
Peabody Hotel for ducks and drinks
Rendezvous BBQ
Gus's Fried Chicken

And just walk around the downtown area, some really interesting architecture in the old buildings still standing.

Have fun!

iceeu2 Oct 31st, 2006 04:57 AM

Lori25j just did a short trip report on her weekend in Memphis. Sounds like a perfect weekend.

billruth Oct 31st, 2006 05:06 AM

Just did a weekend there earlier this month. I thought Rendezvous had excellent ribs, you will wait a while to be seated, but the food arrives quickly and is well worth it. The Rock and Soul museum was great and I also agree with a previous poster that the Rum Boogie Cafe is a good place to go. There is a "free" shuttle bus that will take you between the Rock and Soul Museum, the Sun Recording Studio, Graceland and one other place. This is convenient if you don't want to drive yourself.

wsoxrebel Oct 31st, 2006 05:19 AM

Memphis zoo has pandas if you have never seen them

nancy161 Nov 2nd, 2006 08:09 PM

I second the suggestions of:
Sun Studio,
Gus' Fried Chicken (Worlds's best!)
Gibson Guitar Factory

Also, check out the South Main street Art & Historic district. There are lots of galleries, and interesting shops to browse. ( www.southmainmemphis.org )Depending on when you come: they have free movie one Friday every month, and free trolley ride.

Plenty of BBQ places are all around town in Memphis. Rendezvous' BBQ really disappointed me the last few times, so I don't go there any more.