Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggestions for itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggestions-for-itinerary-689225/)

LindaSus Mar 19th, 2007 10:45 AM

Suggestions for itinerary

We are busy planning our Hawaiin vacation, and would like some input regarding our tentative itinerary:
Days 1-7 (Maui-in Kahana), days 7-11 (Oahu-Waikiki): day 1 arrive 3pm
Day 2: beach /pool day,check out Lahaina --dinner somewhere for sunset (Whalers Village or in Lahaina?)
Day 3: Waterfall hike for me, golf for hubby.
Luau at night
Day 4: Kayak trip in south Maui, then hang out on beaches in Kehei area
Day 5: trip to Hakaleana to see crater (not sunset trip)
Warren and Annebelle show
Day 6: Trilogy trip to Lanai (all day)
Day 7: 2pm flight to Honolulu
Day 8: pearl harbor, beach in afternoon
Day 9: Polynesian Cultural Center, check out north shore beaches
Day 10: Diamond Head hike
day 11: beach day, depart for home 5pm
I would appreciate any suggestions of things I have ommitted, or maybe something we should add!
Thanks!!
Linda

LindaSus Mar 19th, 2007 10:50 AM

Boy, did I massacre this one--I meant Haleakala!!! and we are not going for sunrise or sunset.
Sorry!

bggirl Mar 20th, 2007 08:52 PM

I would skip the Trilogy trip to Lanai in Maui. Not sure if this is the same as 'Club Lanai' that I did a few years ago, but it was a waste of time and money. Didn't get to see any of the island (they didn't promise it either, but still disappointing), no snorkeling from the shore, they put you back on the boat in the middle of the ocean (great for those of us who get sea sick), the food wasn't good, and no one took part in the other activities at the 'club'.

Old Lahaina Luau highly recommended. Hula Grill (or Barefoot Bar at Hula Grill) recommended for sunset dinner. Diamond Head hike will only take about an hour, you could do a Hanauma Bay snorkeling trip the same day.

Your organization has me feeling like I'm behind in planning my days for my upcoming trip. :)

egret Mar 21st, 2007 04:54 AM

I agree with Old Lahaina Luau. It's wonderful.

kanunu Mar 21st, 2007 05:24 AM

I have to disagree with bggirl, or at least clarify a point. We went on the Trilogy trip to Lanai, and it was excellent. We then understood why we couldn't get “a deal” on the Trilogy tours - they just don't need to discount. At the time, I believe that Trilogy was the only operator that actually landed on the island. We snorkeled at the beach off the Four Seasons - Manele Bay hotel, and then we were taken on a little tour of the island, up to Lanai City and by the Lodge at Koele, and while there is not a lot on Lanai, compared to the main islands, we enjoyed the visit, just the same, and saw whales and lots of spinner dolphins, on the way over and back.
Has your hubby got his Maui golf courses picked out, or is he open to suggestions?
As for your itinerary, it is good to see that you have left some time to “catch your breath”, and will have time to be able to get to do some things that are unscheduled, as they can often be more fun than the planned activities. Time your visit to the P.C.C. so that you can see the evening show – it is spectacular!

LindaSus Mar 28th, 2007 07:35 AM

hubby wants to golf at Kapalua (yeah I know it's pricey, but you only live once!). I think the less expensive Village course...Any other suggestions are appreciated!

bobludlow Mar 28th, 2007 07:54 AM

The Polynesian Cultural Center is massively over-priced unless you love 1960s-era cheesiness (Elvis lives! Blue Hawaii!). Try Waimea Falls Park across from the amazing Waimea Beach Park.

golpher Mar 28th, 2007 03:33 PM

I'll second the sunset dinner at The Hula Grill in Whalers Village. Make your reservations the day before if you can, or at least by noon the day of.

Linleedo1 Mar 29th, 2007 04:31 PM

*One or more sunsets at The Hula Grill(Whalers's Village)-great Mai Tais,food,live music & awesome sunsets. Tip the hostess for speedy seating.
*Second sunset dinner at Kimo's in Lahaina.Nice restaurant, food & view.
*For snorkeling on Maui drive to Honolua Bay(like a huge aquarium)& park on the side of the road.We were told by the locals to avoid the Trilogy trip. It has calm waters in a protected cove. The coral & fish were absolutely beautiful.Buy a disposible underwater camera.
Black Rock at The Sheraton Maui has great snorkeling too.(saw a 6 foot turtle, ray, dolphins, & lots of small fish)
*Haleakala was like visiting another planet.You can pull over & take pictures above the clouds on the drive up to the top.The terrain is like nothing I have ever seen on earth. I'm sure you will love it.
*We did some hiking at Iao Needle. It is quite scenic.(also has alot of history)
* One of the best things that we did was book a full day tour with Valley Isle Excursions.It covers the road to Hana & appeals to all 5 senses. Lots of stops-fresh baked banana bread,a hot lunch at a Black Sand beach,a winery,a nursery,waterfalls,& education about different flowers, fauna, history of Hawaii. It was a good way to see alot

lunabug Mar 29th, 2007 04:45 PM

Village course at Kapalua is closed right now and I read somewhere it is re-opening as a private club.
The Bay course at about $225.00 is the cheap one! The Plantation is $100 more than that. I golfed the Bay course a couple of weeks ago. It is a nice course but would be half the price in most other areas of the country.

dusty56438 Mar 29th, 2007 06:35 PM

Lots to choose from on Oahu:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34812564

For Maui luau, Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt has the best fire knife dancer on Maui.

Maui info:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

fishinmoretimes Apr 2nd, 2007 10:29 AM

be sure to go on line for maui websites. have discount purchase on line for the only original hawiian luau on maui. Great show and food.
Take the Haleakala trip (too early just to see sun rise)and ride bike down. Easy ride only one hillto climb about 100 yds ,nice roadside restaurant with beautiful views. Do original Haleakla bike company (also use discount from website) - you won't be hampered by a "bike Master". Diving at molokolini was a bust ( having done Fl keys, abacos, carribean and water is cold ( full 6 mil wetsuit minimum. Also we had a jeep rented - great rides especially on the road to Hilo - don't miss. We did this before our flight out.