Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggestions for Guest Farm vacation suitable for the preschool crowd? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggestions-for-guest-farm-vacation-suitable-for-the-preschool-crowd-363464/)

Kennedy3 Oct 5th, 2003 06:40 AM

Suggestions for Guest Farm vacation suitable for the preschool crowd?

Looking for a getaway for a few days to a working farm with nice guest accommodations. Our little ones would love to help with "light" farm duties like gathering eggs, feeding chickens, watching cows being milked, etc. I looked into The Inn at East Hill Farm in NH, but from the pictures, the accommodations looked really, really run down. I don't mind slightly rustic, but don't want original 1950 decor. Anyone been there and can vouch for the condition of the rooms? Any other suggestions?

ncgrrl Oct 5th, 2003 07:35 AM

I don't know anything about the place you are interested in visiting, but my mom grew up on a farm. From her experience, some chickens do not want their eggs taken (gathered) from them. Chickens can be just as (over)protective as humans.

annesherrod Oct 5th, 2003 09:18 AM

YOu may want to do a search on Agri-tourism on Google. It is very popular in Europe. I do not know about here in the US though.
To ncgrrl - I think your responce was a little over the top. I am guessing you are a vegan.

ncgrrl Oct 5th, 2003 10:21 AM

I'm not a vegetarian (and neither is mom), but mom does get a little squeemish remembering gathering eggs in her youth. That is where my comments come from.

Over the top? Harsh? Maybe. But farming can be harsh. I think you should show the harsh along with the fun to get a true picture of how a farm runs. I'm not saying you should have the kids muck out stalls, but let them know that is something that must be done on the farm.

GoTravel Oct 5th, 2003 11:05 AM

Vacation and farm. Now that's an oxymoron.

Kennedy3 Oct 6th, 2003 05:54 AM

Anne- I tried a Google search for Agri-Tourism as you suggested, but still didn't find what I'm looking for. Any other ideas?

Kennedy3 Jan 4th, 2004 05:03 AM

ttt

Tandoori_Girl Jan 4th, 2004 05:45 AM

Where are you? How many are there of you that you would need accomodations for? how old are "the little ones"? Would your group be willing to travel to other parts of the US? What's too far?

I have no problems with what you're doing -- but I think the reality of farm life is that most likely a farmer who does this does not have the extra cash to make his house into a hacienda. You might have to lower your expectations of the interior of a farmhouse. Farmers live hand to mouth, with extra money going into expensive tractors, mortgages on land, etc. You should probably lower your expectations -- I'll bet those little ones won't even notice the accomodations while they're immersed in the animals on the farm and the opportunities of a lifetime that they're receiving.

obxgirl Jan 4th, 2004 06:11 AM

Farm and vacation may be an oxymoron but if you do a google search on "farm vacations" you'll get a number of options!

MelissaBeckoff Jan 4th, 2004 09:51 AM

Lancaster county,pa has alot of options

Melissa

Patrick Jan 4th, 2004 02:15 PM

OK, I'll admit to growing up on a farm, and when I was quite small one of my chores was gathering eggs. I became terrified of the chickens. Don't laugh unless you've ever reached under a chicken to take an egg and been practically pecked to death by the mother hen. They will literally fly out of the box and attack you bodily. I still have images not unlike Tippi getting her eyes pecked in THE BIRDS.

ncgrrl is correct, and it has nothing to do with being a vegan.

MelissaBeckoff Jan 5th, 2004 04:35 AM

my children love gathering eggs

melissa

zootsi Jan 5th, 2004 05:22 AM

There are many farm/b&b places in Vermont and NH. We stayed at Harvey's Mountain View in Rochester Vt. many years ago, and it was perfect - just what you'd expect. Our girls were able to gather eggs, ride the ponys, pet the cows, etc. The farm was on an isolated dirt road, with spectacular views, and they even had a swimming pool.The farmhouse inn was clean and comfortable. We loved northern New England so much, we eventually moved up here. I don't know if Harvey's
is still in existance, but if it is, I highly reccommend it.