Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Foodies Headed to Seattle for A Long Girls Weekend?

Old Mar 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

My bestie and I are spending 4 days in Seattle later this month. I've never been and she hasn't been since she was 9. We'd love some suggestions for best of Seattle - worthwhile tourist attractions, markets, shops, dining. We love to eat (although I am gluten free) so we'd be so grateful if you could share a few places where you've had memorable dining experiences. Fancy, divey, whatever is delish. We're staying in downtown and don't have a car, although we're not opposed to getting out and around if it's not too tough to do so.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM

For fancy, try The Herb Farm (http://www.theherbfarm.com/dining/samplemenu.html ), but it is very expensive.

The Harvest Vine for tapas: http://www.harvestvine.com/

and Salumi Artisan Cured Meats for lunch:

http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Wild Ginger has been around, but friends went just last week and said it is still good. http://www.wildginger.net/ It is Asian cuisine so you might want to call ahead regarding wheat free soy sauce.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:35 AM

I'm a foodie too! We just had a great meal at the newly opened Mistral Kitchen (and one of our friends is gluten free and had no problems)! Awesome cocktails here too!

My personal favorite is Lark- amazing food and meant to share so you can order lots of stuff!

Recently I took foodie friends from Europe to Union and they LOVED it! Matt's in the Market was also a big hit.

SPUR is also a great gastro pub with really delish food and good cocktails right in Beltown.

All of these places are in the downtown core and you can walk or cab. Have a great time!!

p.s. Salumi is the only one of the above that I really like and it's fun to go to but keep in mind it's 11-3 tues- fri only
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM

I 2nd the recommendations for Lark and Matt's in the Market. I also love the Steelhead Diner in the Market area. Other favorites include Dahlia Lounge (or any of the Tom Douglas restaurants), Campagne/Cafe Campagne and Restaurant Zoe.

Your timing is good as you'll be here during Dine Around Seattle which offers 3 courses for $30 Sun-Thurs at 30 participating restaurants: http://www.dinearoundseattle.org/
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM

oh and Spur just posted their March menu which gives you an idea of their yummy food

http://tinyurl.com/yay8lrp

Good point on the dinearound NWW!
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 04:36 PM

nice places:
Restaurant Zoe
Matt's in the Market
Steelhead Diner
Dahlia Lounge
Etta's Seafood
Maximillien's
Personally not so much a fan of Lark or Wild Ginger myself.

funky, divey, unusual &/or inexpensive:
Wann's (Japanese Izakaya style)
Il Puerco Lloron
Frontier Room BBQ
Mama's Mexican Kitchen
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM

I loved Matt's in the Market, Dahlia Lounge, Cafe Campagne, and Le Pichet.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Tilikum Place Cafe at Cedar and 4th. Excellent breakfast/lunch. And as others have mentioned, it's hard to go wrong with any of the Tom Douglas spots.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM

I recently went to a special dinner at the James Beard foundation in NYC with guest chef, Brian Cartenuto of Cantinetta. If the meal was any indication, I'd love to visit his restaurant in Seattle.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Go to Pike Place MArket for breakfast amd buying a sample of things for a do it yourself picnic.

Here are some suggestions:
Original Starbucks for am coffee or Le Panier for coffee and pasteries.

DeLAurenti for antipasti, items to take home
MArket cellar winery
Three Girls BAkery for bread
Sosios for vegetables and fruit
Salumi for salamie made by MArios (Food TV NEtwork) Dad
Beechers Cheese
Totem Snokehouse, smoked salmon and items to take home

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=false
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM

NeoPatrick we just had an amazing meal at Cantinetta last week! In fact the nettle soup was sooooo good that when we had nettle soup at Le Gourmand last night we both said Cantinetta's was better! It's not dt, it's in Wallingford, but an easy cab!

1Jar- Salumi isn't in Pike Place Market but you can buy it at DeLaurenti's which is in the market
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Wowee, this is FANTASTIC! So excited for our trip. And, not surprisingly, feeling suddenly hungry.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

OOohhh, and any ideas on the DineAround restaurants?
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 01:17 PM

We did the tasting menu at Union this past June, it was amazing! Cafe Campagne, Flying Fish in Belltown, Salty's on Alki Beach, Dahlia Lounge, Etta's and Six Seven @ the Hotel Edgewater are a few more of our favorites in Seattle. ***kim***
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:36 PM

My wife and I spent the weekend in Bellevue, had dinner at a little resturant called Tosoni's 14320 NE 20th. Fantastic food, wonderful staff, open kitchen. Odd place for a resturant (commercial strip mall) but well worth it. Somewhat spendy, again worth it!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 04:33 AM

Flying Fish is moving from Belltown to Paul Allen Country--the corner of Westlake Avenue North and Thomas Street.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Melissa, I took a quick look and imho that's a pretty darn spectacular restaurant list of those participating in the Dine Around this time!! WOW seriously there's not a dud in the bunch. (not all of them are downtown, so without a car might as well eliminate those to narrow down the choices).
-suze
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Lots of the recommended restaurants are on the Dine Around list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO