Reload this Page >

Suggestions for East Coast 2 Week Break from DC Late August

Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to add additional states.

My husband and I are looking to go somewhere for 2 weeks to get out of the heat (we assume) of the August DC weather. We moved to DC from MN last summer, and I'm not familiar with many of the vacation spots on the east coast. I started by looking at VRBO but my goodness there are too many choices and I don't know enough about each of the areas. Water would be nice, cooler temps than DC are a requirement. We are looking for a place that offers a feeling of seclusion, yet enough to do to sightsee when we wish. Non strenuous hiking trails or beach walking is important. We plan to go the last week of August and first week of September. We like history, beautiful scenery, and a quiet, laid back atmosphere. We were hoping to drive to bring our 2 dogs along, but it's not a requirement. Due to the 2 week timeframe, we will be looking for a cabin/cottage/home where we can make many of our meals. Proximity to some restaurants would be nice. Day trips to scenic areas would be great. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 08:54 AM

Well many people start looking for their summer cottages now - and many owners prefer monthlies - or all summer rentals - so you should start looking to make reservations soon.

It's true that DC is very hot and humid in the summer - but you have to go fairly far north to have a good chance of cooler weather (Cape Cod probably but not necessarily, Maine almost certainly cooler).

It would help to have an idea of your budget - since some of the areas are very upscale and even tiny cottages can be expensive.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 09:01 AM

I don't know if you realize it was not hot last summer in DC. I hope it is hotter this year but July can be just as bad or worse.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 10:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You tagged this for Massachusetts - is that the only state that interests you for this trip?
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Cape Cod is lovely in September after the crowds leave to return their mids to school. warm water temperatures.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler, my budget is approximately $6,000 for the two weeks. Would I like it cheaper, yes, but I like comfortable surroundings. Sadly, I was seeing this rate and not much for it in many of the VRBO listings. Of course, our issue is that we don't need lodging for 8-10, and many of them price accordingly.

janisj, I tried in vain to tag other states, but I don't seem to get it. I am open to any of the east coast states. Maine is of particular interest because of the cooler temps.

HappyTrvlr, thank you for the suggestion. Anywhere in particular in Cape Cod that you would suggest?

As I stated above, I went to VRBO for various states, and I didn't really know where to begin because of location. I didn't want to be in a super touristy spot, but maybe that just does with the territory.

Thank you all for your inquiries and suggestions.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I meant goes with the territory.
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 06:16 PM
cw

If you're interested in Cape Cod, look at Wellfleet, Truro, and Provincetown. The rates will probably be lower the week after Labor Day. Check VRBO, Homeaway, and www.weneedavacation.com. You can sort by pet friendly. That will help narrow the choices.

The Cape Cod National Seashore is a wonderful place for beach walks and the Cape Cod bike trail ends in Wellfleet. Provincetown can be busy but the other two towns are quieter and less developed because so much of the land is part of the Seashore. The beaches with their high dunes are very scenic.

Wellfleet has a small town center with good restaurants and some nice art galleries. We spend time there or in Truro almost every year.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 02:28 AM

A friend with two goldens rents a cottage in Wells ME that about 2 blocks back from the beach. She can easily walk the beach with her dogs plus there are some other conservation areas where you can take dogs on a leash. But, while the cottage is in a quiet neighborhood, I really dislike Rt 1 traffic in southern ME.

We much prefer the mid-coast ME area north of Portland but that would add maybe 2-3 hours to your drive. The Harpswells area east of Brunswick sounds like what you want. There are several conservation areas with easy hiking. The Giant Steps is along the water. Not as long and high as the Marginal Way in Ogunquit but far less crowded. You might be the only ones. Some nice family friendly restaurants but fairly rural area. More restaurant choices in Brunswick which is a college town with a great farmers market on Fridays. We used to camp in Wiscasset but dh sold the camper and we rented a small cottage (not a full kitchen) in Bath which I can't recommend. There are a lot of day trip opportunities.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 03:16 AM

Look at Block Island, RI for the quiet beach area you want.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 02:18 PM

How about Bar Harbor Maine, and Acadia National Park? A fabulous national park, with hikes and walks for all abilities. There is a lake for swimming, and of course the ocean, but it's very cold. You could bike the carriage trails, tour the many small towns, kayak, and admire the beauty. There is plenty to do in a week or two, and you can be as remote or in-town as you wish. The town of Bar Harbor has many shops, and restaurants, day sail opp, etc. Check out acadiamagic.com for all types of rentals. And if you don't want to drive all the time, hop on LL Bean's bus...I think it's free.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 07:06 PM

Hello from a fellow DC-area resident. For a chance at cooler weather with only a three-hour drive, go to Deep Creek Lake (DCL) in Western Maryland. In that region you will find some wonderful hiking through areas that are purposefully kept primitive. The place is absolutely filthy with state parks and recreation areas. If you do go there, take a day and take a whitewater raft trip down the Lower Youghigheny River, a bit over an hour's drive north from DCL. After the raft trip you can tour Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Fallingwater house. http://www.laurelhighlands.com. There is also an artificial whitewater course at DCL where the World's Championships was held last year, http://adventuresportscenter.com.

Another mountain getaway is Canaan Valley (pronounced "kuh-naaaane" by the locals), about four to five hours west of DC in West Virginia. No spectacular lake like Deep Creek, but I absolutely love the hiking trails there. I try to do the trek from Canaan Valley State Park to Blackwater Falls State Park every few years, several hours but not too strenuous. The deer are so tame that they come right up to you and beg for crackers (but it's illegal to feed them). Blackwater Falls State Park has a nice lodge and cabins to rent, and the weather does get quite cool at night. Last time I was there the lift at the local ski area ran during the summer for folks to ride up and see some spectacular views.

Let me know if you are interested in some day trips out of DC, I know of a bunch of those, too. Have a great trip.