Search

NYC, Me and Gluten-Free DD (+One)

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC, Me and Gluten-Free DD (+One)

Thanks to this board, my( pregnant, Celiac) DD and I had a great time in the Big (Gluten-Free) Apple.

Things that were superb: Bistango pasta, Risotteria breadsticks, Friedman's Lunch cheddar waffles and fried chicken, Chelsea Market Anthropology store, Delancy Street subway station mosaic tile fish, Tu-lu's GF baked goods, NY Times Sunday paper, Babycakes Bakery donuts, MOMA (especially the South Africa Exhibit), H&M maternity wear (only at the 34th St. store: great style, great prices), St. Patrick's Cathedral, Pax for breakfast, Grand Central Station tour, grid system of streets and avenues (so-o-o civilized!), restaurant prices that seemed pretty much the same as 10 years ago-we ate very well with wine and dessert for $70-$90 for dinner for two.

Things that were okay: Pea in the Pod maternity wear at Macy's (vast array but a little pricey), coming into Newark and getting onto train to Penn Station, the Helmsley hotel (no bed bugs, some remants of glamour, great doormen, but rip-off restaurant/room service prices), subway system that works (but kinda hard to figure out and so few agents to ask),

Things that sucked: , the surface of the streets (lots of really rough sidewalk-infrastructure really showing the stress of time), how hard it is to get a cab at some times of day, the re-entry to Newark Airport from NJ train system (if you didn't hang on to your ticket you have to pay exhorbitantly-and no sign that we saw warned us of this glitch), how much there is to see and how little time we had.

Thanks to all Fodorites that guided us to the best of the Big Apple!
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Oh drat, that ticket thing at Newark is awful! Glad you had a good trip. Does she feel like she accomplished what she set out to buy clothes wise?
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM

The streets got really messed up this winter from all the awful weather. They are in much worse condition than usual.

As far as subway confusion, you can ask almost any NYer on the street or in the station, and most likely, they'll be able to give you good advice. It is confusing if not used to a system with express, local, etc. There are fewer and fewer agents, and in time they will probably disappear altogether.
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Mclaurie: Thanks to the advice, DD is now radiant in her 'size small with a bump' state! Particular faves were blue jean shorts (it could be a long hot summer for a September baby's mom-to-be!) and a terrific black and white gingham cap-sleeve retro top which, over a nifty black pencil skirt, makes her look just like 'Lucy Ricardo' pre-Little Ricky (DD has a mop of red curls).

Yep, we felt a little bumpkin-y when we found ourselves on the bridge to Brooklyn when we were meant to be in the Village. But you know it is all part of the story that makes it a great memory.

MFNYC: you are spot on about the friendliness and knowledge of New Yorkers. I was not surprised as I think the image of the gruff NY-er is untrue today, if it was ever valid. We were both charmed by the number of times DD got spontaneous congrats on her forthcoming event (and not just from folks who might have been looking for a tip!)

Terrific trip and SO much more fun as a mother-daughter event than tying paper-plates with tacky bows on mom-to-be's head and stuffing yourself with bad pastry (do people still do baby showers like that?)
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Sounds great and I like the style of your report!
What a great mother-daughter trip. I'm going with my 14-y-o and NOT preggers daughter in just two weeks! I'm going to check out the items on your "superb" list now
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Veniero's, right next to Tu-Lu's has a handful of gluten-free options, you just have to ask.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:24 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Lantana: have a great time and never stop the Mom-daughter solo travels...I learned this from my own Mom (the topper was to Italy, Mom-83, me-50, daughter-17)...when I fill in that list of the best things in life, these trips will be close to the top

MFNYC: we noticed Veneiro's...so many resto's, so few meal-times in a weekend!...one of the reasons we will be doing this trip again
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Thank you, LJ I won't! And I am shooting for Paris next summer with Mom-68, me-42, daughter-15 (for her Sweet Sixteen!)
Happy Travels to you ♥
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Just a quick follow-up to this trip...that daughter who needed maternity wear and GF food? She gave birth to a healthy 8lb 4oz baby boy this week. Dad, Mom, grandparents all doing well and absolutely blown away by this wonderful new traveler!
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 02:45 PM

Congratulations! Hope you and your grandson will be back soon. -
(I'm in NYC)
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats!!