Suggestions for a weekend in/around Baltimore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be spending a 3-day weekend in the Baltimore area in mid-October. There are four of us, including two teenage boys. What's not to miss? We love blue crabs...who's got the best ones (seasoned with Old Bay, of course!)? Should we try to get to Annapolis for a morning or afternoon? Is there a scenic drive that's not too far away that might offer a glimpse of fall color and/or some Civil War sites? I was born there, but haven't returned in over 25 years...We're really looking forward to our visit!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Which weekend in October? Depending on your dates, you may either want to make Annapolis a must-do or a must-avoid, due to the U.S. Sailboat Show (10/6-10) and U.S. Powerboat Show (10/13-16). If you are a sailing/boating fan, then the shows are great entertainment; if you're not, Annapolis can be quite congested those weekends.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

It sounds like we'd be better off avoiding Annapolis. Even though we are boating fans, with such a limited amount of time I don't think we want to spend it working through large crowds!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Maryland has been experiencing very dry conditions-leaves might be disappointing this year. If you want an hour's drive, go south on 97 to east on Rte. 50, cross the Bay Bridge and watch for signs for Harris' Crab House.
There is an Imax theatre in the Science Center (across from inner harbor). Behind that is a big hill with a statue on it-can't be more specific. Next to the hill is a cool art gallery (I pulled a description below)-quirky enough for teens and it has a great rooftop restaurant:

"On the south side of the Inner Harbor (right under the 55-foot whirly-gig; you can't miss it) is the American Visionary Art Museum (www.avam.org). "Visionary Art" denotes work created by people without professional training, who use ordinary objects, as well as traditional media, to express their deeply emotional, and often mystical, beliefs about love, God, humanity, and the universe at large...."

The Lexington Market has a stall with great crab cakes (look at the Maryland threads). I'd avoid Phillips just because it's so expensive.
The Fells Point area has quirky, funky shops and some good places to eat. Believe water taxi goes from inner harbor to there. There's also a live theatre-might have something of interest to your teens.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM

How could I forget Fort McHenry?! Talk about important U.S. history (not civil-sorry). It's very interesting.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM

A day at the inner harbor is a must; that would include an IMAX movie at the science center maybe if one sounds interesting, also the aquarium has an awesome exhibit with seahorses; we like to hit the aquarium late though to avoid crowds. If it's a nice day, definitely take the water taxi to Ft. McHenry, which is very cool and at the end of the day they have a flag lowering ceremony in which the kids can join that is quite moving. If your family likes funky art, The Visionary Art Museum is truly wonderful and has a great gift shop for creative and fun souvenirs.

I would either go to Obrycki's for crabs if it is still open, which is in northern Fells Point, or Bo Brooks, which has relocated to one of the newer developments along the outer harbor. Fells point definitely has the most fun and funky stores and places to eat. Did you ever go to John Steven's Pub when you lived here? It's along Thames street, west of Broadway, and is a truly "eclectic" authentic Baltimore spot that I would recommend for lunch one day if you like steamed shrimp and casual food that is cooked on a steamer on the bar. I think your kids might find it "adventurous". Also, Canton is very hot these days. Some fun restaurants there include Nacho Mamas, Mama on the Half Shell, Coburns....

Gettysburg is quite close if you want to take a day trip, also the chip factory in Hanover is a fun stop (very quick self guided tour) along the way.

The ballpark is also a fun stop, just beyond the inner harbor, but definitely walkable, and it always at least has somewhere to catch a bite and buy some gear.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Baltimore, dinner in Little Italy is also still fun...
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
emd

Do you all like baseball? Babe Ruth's house/museum is in Baltimore and you can visit it.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Gettysburg is a MUST! The battlefield is better than Disneyland. You might even find a bullet (of course, you can buy them). More bullets have been bought than were ever shot. I grew up in Hanover, so do "drive the square around". With the good road, Gettysburg is just over an hour away from Balto. and a very nice day trip. Hanover is apple country so you should be able to get some very good ones.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM

It's the UTZ factory in Hanover.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM

If you've never been to DC then go down there for a day. On a weekday that is not a Federal holiday you can take the MARC train, or if you drive park at New Carollton or Greenbelt.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Best crabs, best setting . . . Cantlers by far.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:56 PM

I agree with WxWyWz. How come nobody has mentioned going to D.C.??? Or take a drive over to Philly, which is only about an hour away.

But I agree that if you're going to stay in Baltimore, then of course check out Inner Harbor, Lexington Market, Fells Point, etc.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM

Cantlers definitely is the best place for crabs; I just think of that as Annapolis, not Baltimore. What are some of your family's interests?
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:28 AM

IMHO, just stay in Baltimore-you'll have plenty to do and see in your time frame.
Annapolis or Gettysburg might could be squeezed in but Philly and DC are wonderous trips in their own right. Again, just an opinion.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Yup, Cantler's is closer to Annapolis. When OP said Balto area I guess I interpreted broadly for someone coming from out of town.

Aquarium is excellent. . . even for most cynical teens. Dessert at Vaccaro's in Little Italy is a classic stop.

DC is certainly do-able as a day trip.

FYI, about ``finding'' bullets at Gettysburg, I'd check the regs. There are some pretty clear restrictions on many war sites.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM
LN

there's plenty to see in Baltimore over 3 days and you've been given many hints.

If you'd like crabs (seasoned Bal-mer style) head to O'Bryckie's or to Bo Brooks you'll find the numbers and addresses in the phone book or the hotel can steer you there.

Mid-October for Annapolis is power boat show and the roads and downtown will be packed. Also heading to Cantlers would probably produce quite a wait.

Taking I-70 out of Baltimore toward Frederick would produce some great fall colors and also some Civil war sites. It's not very far at all.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Trip to DC from Baltimore would take at least an hour in travel and finding parking place going, then another hour coming back. To me that cuts out lots of visiting time.

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
MaureenB

Are your boys at the age where you want to tour college campuses with them? It can be a good idea, to give them a peak at many schools while you're traveling (saves money in the future!).
The Johns Hopkins University at 3100 St. Charles, is a beauty. And Loyola of Maryland is practically across the street from there. There are more colleges north of there, in Towson, but I'm not as familiar with them.
Annapolis is an easy 45 minute drive from Baltimore, if you have time. D.C. also an easy day-trip if you have time.

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM

How about the train museum (C&O ?)? Not far from Camdem Yards.

I agree with opportunity to visit DC if you've never been and maybe won't have another opportunity in foreseeable future. But I also agree that DC is worth a trip in its own right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -