Suggestions for a free Saturday in San Diego?

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for a free Saturday in San Diego?

We're leaving from San Diego for a cruise in March but will have most of the day open as our ship doesn't sail until 5 p.m. Any suggestions on what 4 of us might do for the day? We've done the zoo on previous visits. What's happening downtown or in the area that we might want to enjoy during the day and still allow us ample time to board our ship? Suggestions?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Obviously you will not have a car so a few ideas for the area near the port

1. Tour the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier. Its a great tour.
2. Cabrillo National Monument - Would need a cab to get you there and back so it would be very costly. Great view from up top.
3. Go the Gaslamp and walk around.
4. Seaport Village
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Good suggestions from tchoiniere.
You could also ferry over to Coronado.
What are your interests?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM

I second the idea of touring the Midway. There are also other ships that can be visited in the area.

Seaport village is right near there. I always eat at the Greek restaurant when i visit.

If you are baseball fans, walk over to Petco Park - Just beyond the wall in Center Field is a park that is open on non-game days.

You can catch the trolley and visit Old Town.

We did the harbor cruise a few years ago and enjoyed it - something we had never done in over 40 years of visiting SD annually.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM

The Midway Museum is a great idea. So is taking the ferry to Coronado.

The Trolley can take you to the first California Mission at Mission San Diego de Alcala, to Fashion Valley shopping mall (great place!) as well as Old Town.

Balboa park isn't very far away and a cab between all of you would not be very expensive.

If your ship sails at 5pm, what time do you have to board and how much sightseeing time do you really have?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
TahitiTams

USS Midway cost $15 per adult..it's not free..
Cruise ship that sail out of SD at 5pm usually have a 2-3pm boarding..
So that really doesn't give you much time but to have lunch somewhere and walk around the bay..
From the Fish Market to Anthony's or Seaport Village..
Walk around the Gaslamp area of downtown SD.
You all could take a taxi to Balboa Park and have lunch at the Prado and walk around the beautiful parks and musuems..

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

We're arriving the evening before and will be on EST so we expect to be up early. That will give us a full morning. Can someone share more about there is to do at Gaslamp area, the Seaport and Old Town? We're probably going to skip the harbor tour (have done that) and Midway simply because we're going to be on the water for a week. Land activity and particularly close-in activities would be best!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM

If your ship leaves at 5pm, I would get to the pier and start the check in at about 11:30 to avoid all the crowds. That leaves you time to have lunch on board and tour the ship before your stateroom will be ready. I've found that if you check in early, you have greater chances of getting your luggage sooner. If you get to the ship at 2 or 3pm, it will be a zoo and lots of confusion.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
TahitiTams

Budman makes some valid points on checking in around 11:30 am vs. trying to get checked in when everybody and their brother is there.
I would go for lunch at either Island Prime on Harbor Island which is excellent or the Waterfront in Little Italy..

gaslamp.org
littleitalysd.com

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM

We just sailed from SD in November and we were pulling away from the pier at 5:00 PM. We started boarding at 1:30 PM and they wanted all on board by 3:30 PM.

The Midway is just a short walk from the cruise terminal. It is probably less than 100 yards depending on where your cruise ship is docked.

I would park across across the street in the lot and go tour the Midway or catch the ferry over to Coronado and walk around The Landing area and have lunch. You could also take a cruise around the bay, but you will see most of the same as you sail out.

Then plan to check in around 2:00 - 2:30.

Gas Lamp and Sea Port Village don't interest me much unless you are into shopping. At least Coronado shopping is a better view.