Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Suggestions for a 3 day weekend near Tampa
Notices

Suggestions for a 3 day weekend near Tampa

Apr 18th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for a 3 day weekend near Tampa

Hi

I will be flying into Tampa on a Thu evening and leaving on Monday morning (this weekend actually) and wanted to know of a good base and sugestions for activities.

I thought of everglads but quite a drive for 2.5 days (will leave Tampa on Fri say 10 am and flying out at 11:30 am on Monday).

Thinking about staying in maybe Siesta Key for 3 nights (not sure of good hotels/b&b's) also open to other ideas.

I like to mix a bit of activity, kayaking, some snorkeing/hiking with just relaxing, strolling along town, good eating etc.

Suggestions welcome (I have not been to Tampa area so pretty much a newbie)

Thanks

Shri
Apr 18th, 2011, 05:38 PM

There's not much snorkeling around there but one unique snorkeling experience is swimming with the manatees at Crystal River, FL. It's about an hour drive north but worth it.

On the way south back down you may want to stop by Tarpon Springs, visit the sponge docks and eat at a family owned Greek restaurant.

There are so many beaches to choose from west of Tampa. One thing on my bucket list is to go out to Caladesi Island State Park.

What's your price range for lodging?
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM

It's the weekend before Easter and many schools are on spring break. Siesta Key is a beautiful beach but it will be packed with families with school aged children. Your choices for accomodations along the Gulf coast will be limited this late. There aren't alot of hotels on Siesta Key, it's mostly condos that rent for a minimum of one week. Good luck.
Apr 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Price range for lodging would like to be in the $100-$150 per night range if possible.

Other than Siesta Keys other places that are recommended in Sarasota or nearby?

Shriram

Search this Thread