Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suggestions for 8 days in New Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suggestions-for-8-days-in-new-mexico-301288/)

lisa Mar 27th, 2003 08:00 AM

Suggestions for 8 days in New Mexico?

My sweetie and I are going to New Mexico for 8 days at the end of May -- my second time, his first. We're flying into ABQ and renting a car. We know we want to spend the bulk of our time in/around Santa Fe, and have reservations at the Inn at Loretto there. But how many of our 8 days should we spend in Taos or elsewhere? We know we want to do a daytrip to Bandelier. We enjoy photography, hiking, art, good food and wine, scenery, antiquing, pottery, and would like to visit a pueblo or two. Suggestions?

burniture Mar 27th, 2003 08:11 AM

Lisa - my sweetie and I had part of our honeymoon in the Santa Fe/Taos area (10 years ago) and we stayed at a quiet, charming B&B in Taos called The Blue Door. The gal who owned it owns the Taos Drum Company and makes beautiful furniture out of trees fashioned as tribal drums. You can visit their mfg. center and choose your own drum. Nice, secluded spot within driving distance of lots of fun stuff to see. The best breakfast I ever had was in Santa Fe at the Coyote Cafe (I THINK that was the name...it's been a long time...) Have fun.

utahtea Mar 27th, 2003 09:10 AM

Chaco Culture National Historical Park is awsome. You have to travel down a dirt road but cars can make it easy as long as it's not raining.<BR><BR>http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm<BR><BR>Utahtea

JackOneill Mar 27th, 2003 09:18 AM

<BR><BR>If you're into photography you'll absolutely love the High Desert area.<BR><BR>Definately do Chaco Canyon. Lots of great hiking to do, and great Indian ruins to see.<BR><BR>Also, take a drive out to Abiquiu. There's a dirt road off the main road (very near the turn off for Abiquiu pueblo) that will lead you back into some spectacular terrain.<BR><BR>Also, do the drive down (or up) the Turquoise Trail. Plan on stopping at the small town of Madrid and have lunch at the Lost Mine Tavern.<BR><BR>In addition to Bandelier, plan on going to the Puye Indian Cliff Dwellins which is reasonably close to Bandelier. This cliff dwelling is much less frequented than Bandelier.<BR><BR>Have fun.

JackOneill Mar 27th, 2003 09:24 AM

<BR><BR>I just realized I didn't answer your main question. Personally, I'd spend all my time in the Santa Fe area and make a day trip to Taos. Taos really does not have anything to offer that Santa Fe doesn't. In fact, it has less.

E Mar 27th, 2003 10:32 AM

My sweetie and I loved NM, and can't wait to go back! You already know Bandelier is a must, as are Santa Fe and Taos. I would add Taos Pueblo and San Ildefonso Pueblo, the latter a center of black-on-black pottery. I would also recommend Chimayo, specifically, the Santuario, which is spooky; Rancho de Chimayo for food (OK, no longer stellar, but still very good, especially the red chile sauce); and Ortega's weaving shop for beautiful rugs and blankets (and btw, you can custom-order your desired color combinations). For hiking, drive out to Ghost Ranch: there isn't much commemorating G. O'Keefe out there except the vistas, but they are splendid! It's some sort of church-run retreat center now, and for a dollar or two you can buy a little guide to a nice hike. Georgia's house in Abiquiu I've heard is worth seeing, but you have to reserve quite far in advance for a place on the tour. Have fun!!

abbekit Mar 27th, 2003 10:49 AM

We spend a week in Santa Fe in December and loved the area around Bandelier, went back for a second day of hiking and a visit to the Science Museum in Los Alamos. I was never good in science in school but even I found that museum very interesting, especially the history of the A bomb. There is more hiking in Bandelier than just seeing the Cliff Dwellings. Be sure when you take that hike to go the extra 1/2 mile and climb up the ladders into the Ceremonial Cave. We also really enjoyed the Falls Trail with several climate zones, two lovely waterfalls, which then winds down to the Rio Grande, about 5 miles round trip.

JackOneill Mar 27th, 2003 10:58 AM

<BR><BR>Actually, as far as hiking is concerned, the area in which Bandelier is located is the Santa Fe National Forest. If you stay on the main road (SR 4, I think) and drive past the entrance to Bandelier this will take you along the top of a mesa. There are numerous picnic areas along the way. Pull off into one and hike down into the canyon. Look for the elk, and the little seen petroglyphs.

jedivader Mar 27th, 2003 11:15 AM

Definitley do the Jemez Trail, there are many scenic stops along the way. I couldn't find the hot spring that you can swim in. Maybe you will have better luck.<BR><BR>Also took a day trip to see Billy the Kid's grave and Roswell. A very, very long day trip.

seniormsuedu Mar 27th, 2003 03:02 PM

i would drive to my favorite pueblo, acoma sky city, near grants. a bus takes you up to top of mesa with stunning views. very historical, especially the story about the acoma people mistreated by the spanish invaders and throwing a cruel priest over the cliff. lovely pottery on sale at the pueblo and parking lot below.<BR>santa fe is a wonderful town - something to do every day. nice museums, history. i was able to tour georgia o'keefe's home in abiquiu by calling the o'keefe museum in santa fe. it was so interesting and well done. farmers market on saturday mornings in downtown s.f., giant flea market north of town at the opera on fri. and sat. i think.

mona Mar 27th, 2003 05:06 PM

Have you considered river rafting? There are some nice raft trips out of Taos. We did a mild &quot;family trip&quot; two summers ago. I'm sure Santa Fe or other places have various &quot;mild or wild&quot; rafting trips as well. <BR>