Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions a few hours in NYC for Sunday before 4:30 flight LGA

Old Jan 25th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be at The Benjamin, 125 East 50th and Lexington, this coming weekend. We will eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant, The National, as it is included in our rate. Any suggestions for lunch and passing the time prior to catching our cab to the LGA at 2p.

Does this sound right:

Dpt hotel @ 2p
Arr LGA @ 3p
Dpt LGA on SWA @ 4:30p

Please let me know if I should allow more or less time to the airport or more time while at the airport. We will be checking bags.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 08:56 AM

I would ask your airline what time they want you to check in. I don't know what their security lines are like - and for some airlines/flights/times of day they can be very long.

Also, do you have to check luggage or do you have only carry-ons?

An hour should be sufficient time to get to the airport on a Sunday - but I would do a car service rather than a cab - so you're not waiting in the street for a cab to turn up.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Sorry - without knowing what else you are already seeing on your trip and what your interests are how can anyone suggest what to do on one specific morning?
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Checking bags. My window is too short for a museum. I was thinking maybe there was a neighborhood or park that would be easy to wander around and grab a bite there as well.

Only plans I know so far are to go to the MOMA and a play and maybe do a hop on hop off bus.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 09:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Southwest's security and baggage at LGA are difficult, an old and cramped space, no separate TSA Pre check line, etc. A zoo. I would allow more time. The only time we checked bags there, they didn't make it nor did those of other passengers at our destination. I like SWA but book out of EWR.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would say less time is needed to reach LGA. It depends on traffic of course, but should take about one-half hour.

With the recent blizzard, parks may not be ideal destinations. Bryant Park is the nearest, behind the Library (which is worth poking around).
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 11:23 AM

No specific suggestions but I'd skip the park.
I'd probably really live it up the night before and want to have a lazy Sunday morning. Breakfast late and hang out with the newspapers.
If the hotel breakfast isn't great find a fab restaurant/hotel and have a long leisurely brunch.
Walking to and from the venue would be enough outdoor time for me in late January.

Check in online and it will speed things up even if you still have to check bags/bag drop.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 12:01 PM

I agree with nytraveler… best to order a car service. Unless we have another blizzard the trip to LGA should be reasonably quick. A car service would know how much time to allow.

The National gets lots of good reviews…and negative ones too. I always find that difficult to understand…fussy customer? hungover waiter?…
Anyhow the NYTimes gave it one star when it opened. It sounds like the sort of place it would be nice to have brunch on Sunday.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Sassy_cat, I like your suggestion as we will be living it up Saturday night at a birthday party.

HappyTrvlr, thanks for the insight on SWA. I will plan to get there 2 hours in advance.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 12:06 PM

I once had lunch at The National. It was good and the room was comfortable. I agree that is sounds like a nice place for a leisurely Sunday brunch.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 03:12 PM

I would suggest a late breakfast and then perhaps going to see St Patrick's and Rockefeller Center, which will be cleaned of snow, assuming we don't get a lot more later this week. That's a short walk from your hotel.

If you arrange a car service pick-up from the hotel, you should be more than fine leaving 2.5 hours before your flight. You can do the check in on line and then just drop your bags on arrival. The trip to LGA from that hotel on a Sunday afternoon should not take longer than 30 minutes, giving you plenty of time.

However, if there is a lot of snow on Friday, it may be a madhouse. Definitely reserve your car service now. Don't count on a taxi at that time, which is the time of shift change. It's the worst time of any day to hail one.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug_Stallings. That is a good plan as I wanted to see Rockefeller Center on this trip. Going to St. Patricks Cathedral would be nice as well. We try and find a church in every place we travel to lift prayers for my husband's younger sister who is fighting cancer.

I checked my Weather Channel app for NYC and it does not indicate snow on Friday. I guess your local forecast is more accurate. What does it say?

Is there a car service that any of you readers can recommend? If not, I'm sure it will fine to go w/ what the hotel recommends.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:13 AM

Actually @foolforfrance, since I wrote that the forecast has been changed, and it looks like the storm this weekend will veer off the coast and not make any impact here at all (well, maybe some flurries on Friday afternoon). It looks at least now like smooth sailing for you with temps in the high 30s to mid-40s, so the worst thing you'll face may be our monumental ice lakes from the melting snow. I hope you have a good time.

I have been using Carmel lately because it's been significantly cheaper than Dial 7. Those are the two largest companies, and I've found both are reliable. A lot of people are moving over to Uber, but I haven't yet.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Doug_Stallings.

Based on the ice lake comment, should we assume a pair of waterproof boost/shoes will be necessary for all our walking around NYC Thurs-Sun?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:42 AM

If you have them, they will be helpful, but they aren't a must. I don't wear them every day and get along fine, but I wouldn't bring them along when traveling because of the extra weight. If you are choosing between, say, sneakers and lightweight waterproof shoes, choose the latter, but only if they are comfortable walking shoes.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 07:33 AM

Do you have timed tickets for Picasso? It is the last weekend. Otherwise, make friends with a member and go early during members hour.

A Guide Named Sue