2 days in Vermont, Green Mountain area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2016, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving into Vermont from Niagra Falls. Would like to see some waterfalls, and great views. Searched a few falls, and found these. Bristol Falls, Falls of Lane, Moss Ellen Falls, and Little Ellis Falls. Never been in the Vermont mountains but would like to experience the outdoors. Not too much Hiking. Views Historic sites etc. Then we will traveling to Boston for a couple of days. Basically a road trip! Will spend a day or possibly 2 in Boston. Also looking for sites to see.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 02:38 AM

We have enjoyed Bristol Falls. You can take a picnic lunch and sit in the shade while watching people jump off the ledges into the deep pool and explore the falls. Downstream it's so shallow you can walk across the river if you have some good water shoes (bottom very rocky). You won't see the falls unless you park by the side of the road and get out of the car but very short walk.

I like the rolling open farmland view that you get driving along Lake Champlain. If you visit the falls and continue on the Lincoln Gap it will take you through the mountains to Rt 100. Find your way to the Warren Store where you can get some pretty good sandwiches and eat on their deck overlooking a little rocky gorge. If you walk out back, it connects with a narrow rocky gorge where we saw people swimming. It's very narrow and we didn't ask if there was public access to the swimming area.

After you connect with Rt 100, head south to Norwich. Stop in King Arthur Flour if you like to cook but it also has a nice café. Norwich has a great farmers market on Saturday mornings. Cross over into NH. I think you can go over the famous covered bridge. St. Gaudens is in NH. You can watch a short film and tour the famous sculptor's house and studio.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Love the Green Mountain area. We took Rt 104 off of 98 through a few small towns and then down Rt 108 through Smuggler's Notch. So beautiful. There was a winery and a coffee roaster along the way.

Rt 108 connects to Rt 100. On Rt 100 there is a small cider mill, Ben & Jerry's and then Stowe. So beautiful.
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the responses to our inquiry. Very much looking forward to the trip. Thanks again!
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 01:53 PM

this story from a local VT TV station describes 3 falls that are relatively close together --Moss Glen Falls, Texas Falls and Devils' Potholes, plus some others
http://www.wcax.com/story/10740844/w...ont-waterfalls

Rte 100 is a scenic north south route with lots to see in addition to the waterfalls.

I would recommend taking Rte 2 from the Montpelier area over to St Johnsbury on your way to Boston (you can connect to I-93). Although it is usually not mentioned as a prime tourist route, I think it is a very beautiful drive.

You should probably start a separate thread if you want suggestions for things to do/see in Boston.
Old Jan 19th, 2017, 05:50 PM

We were with my sisters and some friends in Vermont this year in April. We saw the Bristol Falls and the Falls of Lane. Both are really stunning! As has been mentioned above by dfrostnh, it’s worth going to Lake Champlain as well. The Rt100 is extremely picturesque so I’m sure you’ll have a great time!