Reload this Page >

Suggested itinerary for Houston to NYC trip in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:04 PM
him

Need help on planning a roundtrip drive from Houston to New York for the whole month of October. Like scenic drives off the Interstates, great restaurants and nice B&B's where you meet interesting people who love to travel. Truly enjoy historical sites and mountainous/ coastal areas as well. Will spend about 1 week in the NYC/Philly area so will be on the road for about 3 weeks.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:51 PM
travellyn

I drove non-stop (except for gas) from Houston to Washington DC once. A lot of it is still a blur, but from the (slower) trip back I remember Hungry Mother State Park (in Virginia?) as being a nice place, also Sky Line Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, as well as Great Smoky Mountain NP. (Forgive me if I don't get all the names right.)

On another trip, I spent a week driving around the Ozarks just as the leaves were turning. The Ozark Mountain Folk Center was a great place. We stayed in a couple of nice state parks in Arkansas, one with incredible views of the Ozarks and a lodge constructed by the CCC.

Closer to NYC, in May this year, I stayed on an Amish Farm just outside of Intercourse, PA. I enjoyed the People's Place there. The proprietors' name was Zook, and I've posted a couple of times with those details if you want to try a search.

Have fun - sounds like a great trip!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:20 PM
him

Great sugggestions. Will not miss the Smokies and the parks thereabout. Is there much of an autumn colors show in the Smokies in October? Is October too late to enjoy the Outer Banks in N.C.??

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Lindsey

CNN.com has an article on summer road trips which includes two itineraries you might want to include -- Natchez Trace Parkway, from Natchez, MS to Nashville, and Blue Ridge Parkway, from Royal, VA, to Cherokee, NC.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/summerdrive/

Also check out the U.S. Department of Transportation's Scenic byways website
http://www.byways.org/index.html

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:16 PM
him

Lindsey, thanks for guiding me to these two sites for travel off the interstates. I hadn't heard about the Natchez Trace Parkway before but went to library today and got out three books about it and the surrounding areas.
Thanks for all the help so far.