Search

Transportation from Manhattan to Staten Island

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation from Manhattan to Staten Island

Hi!
Can you suggest me a good limo or van service company to go on the NY marathon day to the Verrazano Bridge (Fort Wadsworth). We are around 6-8 people. I have heard about Carmel. My alternative is the NYC marathon official buses that depart around 5 o´clock in the morning with a US$ 18 fee some blocks away from my hotel (St. James at W 45th st). THe advantage of the limo / van service is that we can depart later, although we have to be passing the Verrazano Bridge by 7 am.

thanks for your help.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 03:31 AM

I can't recommend a good service but my sister who lives on the upper east side always takes that bus. She thinks it's the best option. Good luck in the race!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 04:20 AM

It is my understanding that the only way to get close to the Fort Wadsworth "staging area" where the race starts is on one of the official buses. Also, the way to get to Staten Island by car is over the Verranzano bridge. That will be closed to regular traffic b/c that's where the race starts.

The boarding for the official buses is between 5-7am so you don't have to get there at 5.

The only other options I can see is to go on the Staten Island ferry (by foot-you'd take a taxi or subway down to the ferry terminal at the south end of Manhattan) and then I THINK there will be buses at the ferry terminal on Staten Island to take you to the staging area OR I THINK you could take a car service in Manhattan onto the ferry (the ferry carries cars) and then I don't know how far the car service would be allowed to go to get you to the starting line. I've read accounts on line that say from previous years you have to walk about 1/4 mile if you're not on an official bus.

limores.net is a reliable company with stretch limos.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:56 AM
GoTravel

Take the official busses.

Don't even think about trying to dick around with private transportation because the bus traffic is so heavy, your limo will have a hard time making the Verrazzano Bridge by 7AM.

I highly suggest the Battery Park busses. There is no waiting line for those busses.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:56 AM
GoTravel

PS I'm running my second NYC Marathon!