Search

MBTA Charlie Card - Adding a T-Pass

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBTA Charlie Card - Adding a T-Pass

Hello Fodorites!

I'm going to Boston next weekend for a long weekend, and for the first time, and, as I expect to use MBTA subway and buses, I want to get an unlimited-ride T-Pass. It is my understanding that I can add one to a Charlie Card, and that I can add it to a card at a fare vending machine, which are located in subway stations.

My question is: If I'm flying into Logan Terminal B - US Airways side - where can I pick up a Charlie Card so I can add a T-Pass to it? And I think I can add a t-pass at the Airport station on the Blue Line, but is there any machine at which I can do so in the terminal?

Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
yk

Hi Trekker-

To answer your question, you should be able to get a charlie card when you arrive at the Blue Line Airport T station. Once you have the actual plastic card, you can load a T-pass onto it from a machine.

OTOH, there are also machines inside the terminal, near the Silver Line Stop (which is usually located towards the far-end of the terminal). From those machines, you can just get a Charlie ticket (paper) with a T-pass loaded on it.

So, it depends on whether you want to take the Blue Line or the Silver Line.
http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes...lt.asp?id=5596

But my question for you is, how many days will you actually be here for your "long weekend"? I assume you're thinking of getting the $15 7-day pass? If you're only here for 3-4 days, it may not be worthwhile.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Yes. I'm thinking of getting the $15 7-day ticket.

and I'll be getting in Thurs. morning and flying out tuesday evening.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
yk

For the 7-day pass, you don't even NEED a plastic Charlie Card. You can just use any vending machines (either at the Airport Station, or at the Silver Line stop at the far end of Terminal B) to buy your 7-day pass loaded on a Charlie ticket.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking the card (there's no difference in cost, if I recall), just because I worry about losing/bending a paper ticket
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
yk

If you're dead set on getting a plastic Charlie Card, then you'll need to go to the Airport Station. You can only get the plastic card from a real person, ie, a T employee at the ticket window.

Depending on where your destination is, you may end up taking a detour via the Blue Line, instead of directly using the Silver Line from the terminal.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking about the Silver Line, but decided on the Blue Line, transferring to the Green Line, as I'm headed to the Back Bay
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
yk

Blue line -> Green line will work well for Back Bay.

You do know you need to catch a shuttle from the terminal to get to the Blue Line Airpor Station, right? (sorry, can't tell if you're familiar with Boston or not, as I don't think the MBTA website makes that part clear.)
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Find out whether the T station closest to your hotel is on the Green Line or the Orange Line; if it's on the Orange line, then you want to take the Silver Line from the airport to South Station, then take the Red Line to Downtown Crossing and pick up the Orange line there.

Either way, you'll ride 3 different things: (1) Shuttle, Blue Line, Green line, or (2) Silver Line, Red Line, Orange Line. Just to keep things interesting: the Red Line also intersects with the Green Line, so you can combine the two strategies.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

I was aware of the shuttle - Massport's site says #22 is the one that goes to terminal a, b, and the station I believe? (Just a side note here - I have seen on various sites that the shuttle is extremely crowded and takes a long time. Is this true? If so I'll just take the Silver Line)

The hotel I'm at is the Sheraton - right by Prudential station, so I'm thinking Green line will be best.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
yk

I haven't found the Blue Line shuttle too crowded... esp now with Silver Line running. In terms of the wait time, it just seems like whichever shuttle I need is always the one that takes forever to come; be it Blue Line shuttle, or the Silver Line, or whatever.

Once you get to Govt Center, you need to go up one level for the Green Line. As for which Green LIne, I guess the Sheraton is equal-distant from Hynes station and from Prudential station. So just get on whichever Green line trolley comes next. If it is B, C, or D, you get off at Hynes. If it is E, you get off at Prudential.