Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Suddenly free for the long wknd with no trip planned, is it too late to escape from nyc? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/suddenly-free-for-the-long-wknd-with-no-trip-planned-is-it-too-late-to-escape-from-nyc-627548/)

flatfeet Jun 30th, 2006 05:43 AM

Suddenly free for the long wknd with no trip planned, is it too late to escape from nyc?

Hi,

I was supposed to work through the July 4th weekend but am now suddenly free with 4 days to get away (Sat-Tue). Really want to escape from the city but have nothing planned and no rental cars left in the city. Can anyone help with trip ideas?

We'd like to be away from a city setting, don't want party scene or shopping scene, want to be close to nature/water. We are 2 adults w/ no kids, don't have a car but am willing to hop on a plane if there are cheap flights. We'd love to go eat lobsters in Maine and hang out on the coast. Is there a way to get there by train?

Thank you so much!

bm Jun 30th, 2006 06:03 AM

Check out Jet Blue and see if you can get any last minute deals to Burlington, VT and/or Portland, ME. The Maine coast is gorgeous. It'll probably be super busy this weekend though. We like Kennebunkport, specifically Goose Rocks Beach. The Inn at Goose Rocks or the Tides Inn are nice places to stay.
Vermont is a little more laid back over the 4th. Burlington has fireworks on Monday night. Lots of small towns around have celebrations going on. Bristol has the famous outhouse races and then the parade on the 4th. Hinesburg has a nice 4th parade as well.

steviegene Jun 30th, 2006 06:11 AM

Travlocity has last minute trip ($375.oo per person for flight+ hotel) that leaves on saturday for roanoke, va. A very pretty spot near the appalachian trail, with a cute downtown. Search the last minute trips..they have specials to toronto, raleigh, nc and others.

panecott Jun 30th, 2006 06:31 AM

Spring Lake, NJ, on the shore, is about a two hour train ride from the city. I don't know if you can find accommodations this late but it's worth a Google search. Same with Cape May, altho' that's a bit farther.
Good luck

toppy Jun 30th, 2006 06:46 AM

call any travel agent...you'd be surprised how cheaply you can fly out somewhere. One of my most favs was when we called an agent at 3PM and by 5 were booked to head to Fla for Columbus Day weekend. I know it is hot there now, but it is the spontaneous qualities that makes it fun. Maybe an island, or VA beach????

bon100 Jun 30th, 2006 07:19 PM

You don't really need a travel agent, just go to the airline's website and check out last-minute deals. We once found a round-trip to Bahamas for 160.00, and a search in Fodor's and Expedia found us a boutique hotel for 80.00/night. It was way cheaper than anything in Florida at the time. Think outside the box and you can find wonderful adventures.

bugswife1 Jun 30th, 2006 07:33 PM

Last year we were planning on going to the hamptons for july 4th weekend. with all the hotels having 3 night minimums and jacking up the prices, it would have cost us $1000 just for lodging.
We ended up booking a package to Cancun and staying at the JW Marriott. Air and hotel was $1200 FOR TWO of us. And, the weather in Cancun is pretty stable throughout the year so it was no hotter than going in December. The food was cheaper, and we didn't need a car or beach passes. The flight was direct.
In short, it was a pleasure.

TxTravelPro Jun 30th, 2006 08:25 PM

That's easy!
site59.com
Great deals on last minute travel!

TxTravelPro Jun 30th, 2006 08:30 PM

Loads of options on site59.com

DC, direct flights, stay at the beautiful Omni Shoreham.
Depart the 1ts and return the evening of the 3rd.
500.00 for TWO!

SITE59.COM