Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Sudden change of plans, need NYC hotel help please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/sudden-change-of-plans-need-nyc-hotel-help-please-666250/)

TinaLee204 Dec 26th, 2006 04:39 PM

Sudden change of plans, need NYC hotel help please!

Reposting, since I forgot to put NYC in the heading! Sorry!

My 20 y/o daughter is scheduled to leave for NYC on Jan 4th for 3 nights. She's auditioning for scholarship dollars from the Met, but they're staying over the weekend to do the tourist thing.

Originally, 3 were sharing the room and they decided to pull it up and stay at the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park. Worked out to about $300 each for the total stay (or about $300 a night). Well... as luck would have it... one of them has pulled out and now they are TWO! No way they can afford the Ritz splitting it 2 ways, so now they need to find an alternate hotel!

I'm thinking somewhere more midtown (they were only staying all the way out in Battery Park because it was "THE RITZ") - LOL!

Anyway, anyone have a good suggestion for them? Obviously they'd like a smidge of luxury since they had to give up the Ritz, but they need to keep it in their budget as well! Do you think the Times Square area will be just too much? Hilton Times Square or the Hyatt maybe? Would you recommed something in a different area? (staying in Manhattan please). Any boutique hotels they might enjoy and be able to afford?

Any and all advice would be most welcome!

Thanks!

TinaLee

P_M Dec 26th, 2006 04:54 PM

Please see my reply on your other thread.

PS This is a better title, good idea to repost. :-)

nytraveler Dec 26th, 2006 05:00 PM

The Lucerne - a pretty hotel on the upper West Side is showing a special internet rate of $230 per night for early January.

Or - they might chek out the affinia group of hotels - moderate hotels that get generally good ratings.

anamaria Dec 26th, 2006 05:23 PM

We just arrived last night from NYC.We had reservations at the Salisbury and after arriving we switched hotels within one hour. The Salisbury was dirty and grimy. Guess what hotel took us on the SPOT and it was reasonable and great!!!!Le Parker Meridian on 57th(I think) between 6th and 7th.Same street or close to Carnegie Hall,walking distance to Rockefeller Center and Central Park.Le Parker saved us...try that hotel!Good luck!!

anamaria Dec 26th, 2006 05:30 PM

Forgot to mention. Le Parker is a very nice hotel with views of Central Park.They have a huge gym and an indoor pool. They have a restaurant that has been on Oprah called either "the burger joint or"the hole in the wall"...that is what it is a hole in the wall, but the BEST burgers you could ever ask for. My 17 yr old ate there every day. I don't know if it is far from where you want to be but it was comfortable and really fun!
We walked by the Hilton and it looked great and the other hotel we stayed on in the first part of our college trip was the Hilton Millineum, across from Ground Zero...Great Hotel, best sheets on our entire trip. If you click on my name you will see what trip we just did..good luck!

wantsomesun Dec 26th, 2006 07:14 PM

I'd suggest going to www.hotels.com and see what the rates are for lots of hotels for the weekend.

kellbell Dec 26th, 2006 08:20 PM

We just stayed at the Ameritania. Not luxury, exactly, but nice and good location and a great price.

I've also stayed at the Millennium Hilton and really enjoyed that facility, too.