Sublet in East Village/Union Square - NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to the city twice before and have stayed at the Salisbury and the Marriott (Midtown East). This time I'm thinking of renting a sublet in the East Village to save a little money, since we are coming in November when the hotel rates are so high. I'd be coming with my 15 yr. old son. I've used VRBO before in Hawaii, but I feel a bit nervous about renting through Craigslist, which is where I read about this apartment. Does anyone have any experience renting sublets in NYC that would help me make my decision? Any opinions on this particular location would also be appreciated.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Holly,

My wife and I have had great experiances with Craigslist. I found a nice studio for family and freinds to sublet on many occasions from the same guy. Now whenever I need a place for them I call him and he usually is able to help.

You can also try www.sublet.com, although, I have no opinions of this site as I have never used it.

Cheers,

Shark Diver
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM

As you know, Craig's list is not monitored in any way (VRBO is not officially monitored but they will eliminate posters who are fakes or have many complaints). Many (most) of the Craig's list listings are perfectly legitimate - but a few are not - and there is no monitoring.

If you can give us more specific info on the apartment - exact address and what they've said about the aprtment - someone local can give you many more spcifics.

I would just be sure that you are renting from the legitimate tenant (and recognize that the landlord may not know about the sublet and it may well be technically illegal.)
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

I emailed to get the exact address of the apartment, so now I just have to wait to hear back. I'm not sure how to find out if this guy is the legitimate tenant, though, so I'm not sure what to do about that. Sharkdiver, you wouldn't want to share the name of the guy you've rented from, would you?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Holly,

The studio has a queen size bed and a small couch. You indicated that it would be you and your 15 year old son. Does that work for you? If so, what are the dates you are looking for?

Shark Diver
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Okay nytraveler, the address is 324 east 13th, between 1st and 2nd ave. Here is some additional information about the apartment:

Nearby Attractions -
Manhattan and area attractions are easily accessible via public transportation. East Village and Union Square are right outside your doorstep. Walk to SoHo and Gramercy are a few blocks away. Enjoy a huge selection of exclusive boutiques and restaurants unique to the neighborhood.

Transportation
L Train @ 1st & 14th
4,5,6,N,R Trains @ Union Square
Easy to hail cabs on 1st and 2nd Ave

Sharkdiver, the place you know of would only work if the couch works as a sleep area. My dates in November are somewhat flexible, at this point. I have the 4th-25th off, and I'm thinking of staying between 4-6 nights.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Holly -

I haven't seen the listing - which may tell the folowing. If not you need to ask:

What kind of building is it - doorman, pre-war with elevator or walk-up (and if the latter what floor is it on? And how many apartments is it?)

What type of security does the building have (again doorman?, electronic fob or just keys? And if the latter are there outer and inner lobby keys or just one?)

Assuming this is a private sublet will they give you the name and # of someone to contact in case of problem (plumbing etc) - or can you contact the landlord (the latter will tell you if this is an illegal sublet)

Have they given you specific square footage of the apartment and size of each room as well as pix of all of the amenities. (Be aware that many modest/moderate apartments in NYC do not have dishwashers or washers and driers [latter are either in basement or you have to go to laundromat})

I don;t know the exact address - but I'm sur4e someone will come along son who knows the building.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

The listing says that it has a large iron entryway, and that's all, so I'm betting there isn't much more. I don't care about a dishwasher or washer and dryer. A walk-up apt. is fine, too. I do have pictures, and the place looks okay from that standpoint (square footage, etc.). You've brought up some great questions to ask about security and legitimacy, and I thank you. I'll email to get those answers. I'm leaving for Tahoe in a couple of hours for our anniversary, so I'll look forward to finding out more when I get back.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:26 AM

I live about a block away from that apartment. I can't say anything about that building, but it's a great neighborhood and you can walk to all of those places listed below. Your 15 year old son will like the neighborhood quite a bit.

Let me know what type of restaurants you are looking for, and I can offer recommendations. The E. Vill has a ton of great, inexpensive options for just about any type of food you could want.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lizzie. That makes me feel better about the whole thing. I just sent an email to the guy with the listing, so hopefully I'll know more when I get back from Tahoe. I did notice that his email includes "instantnewyorker.com" so I don't know if anyone has ever heard of that. I pulled it up, and it looks legit., but ???? If we do decide to go with this apartment, I'll definitely take you up on the restaurant recs. As you can tell, we are trying to plan a budget vacation this time. My son is a hot dog fanatic, so that definitely helps!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I doubt it if the building would have a doorman. We find ourselves often in the Lower East Side due to the dearth of good restaurants and bars in the Midtown East where we live. Anyway, from what I noticed the buildings thre are mostly walk-ups and go as high as 5 floors.

Anyway, as lizzie posted, that area has TONS of excellent restaurants/bars/breakfast places that you can choose from. St. Marks place is as busy as a New York locals hangout place can be. Lot's of stores (some are quirky and imaginative) and restaurants.

You'll also be about 20 minute walk away from Nolita where there are more restaurants and good bars.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM

holly,

This thread reminded me of another Fodorite's experience with renting someones apartment in Lisbon, Portugal.

From a trip report over on the Europe board (the renter has just arrived at the apartment):

Paulo was so understanding when we told him about our dilema with the ATM's. He just told us to call him when we could pay or that we would work something out; he was very trusting and that it so admirable.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Well nytraveler....I emailed the questions you suggested to this guy with the sublet last Friday, but I still haven't heard back. I'm getting a little anxious to get my plans set in motion since my dates are flexible, but airfare is steadily going up for November. So, I decided to email a couple of other places listed on craigslist last night (inc. all the questions you mentioned). One of them got back to me right away, but I'm still waiting on the others. The place that got back to me is through a realty called Infinite NYC, but it says there are no other fees. It all sounds good except that there is no doorman, although she assures me it is a secure building. The studios are located at 49th and 9th streets. There is another post here that mentions a similar address (nyc: apt advice pls), and I've been in the area before so I remember it being okay. We ate at Churrascaria Plataforma (sp?) and it was kind of dark and quiet from what I remember. I was kind of looking forward to staying somewhere a little different this time around,like the place in the East Village since I'd have my teenage son. Maybe this area is better in terms of being closer to the bright lights, though. I'll try to give some of the other places I emailed a chance to get back to me, but I hope to get a place chosen by the end of the day.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:48 AM

Your 15 y.o. will love the area. I live nearby as well and have 2 teens. Union Square park is a major 'hang out' place for high school kids. 49th and 9th, is the theater district/times sq area which is less neighborhoody and more touristy. E.VIllage/Greenwich Village/Union Sq is very accessible to transportation, good shopping and a huge variety of good and reasonable restaurants.

Another question about the apartment on E. 13th St is street noise. The E. Village is a lively nieghborhood, with lots of activity until the wee hours of the morning. Although the w 49th St palce could be noisy as well.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM

To MFNYC's point, I would ask whether the apartment overlooks the street, or if it's in the back of the building. As long as it's on 13th St. and not on 1st or 2nd Ave., it won't be too bad.