Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Stuck in NYC after the storm? Ideas on what to do

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the benefit of tourists who might be in NYC October 31st and following days, maybe we can compile a list of what's open.

City buses have started running on a limited schedule.

Unfortunately the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade has been canceled. That was to be expected

If I was a tourist here in the next few days, I'd try to get in touch with or just walk over the the studios where some my favorite shows are taping. If they're back to taping, they must have vacancies due to all the out of towners who can't get in to NYC, and the locals who rely so much on the subways. If you're staying in midtown, you may get lucky! I imagine there are also cancellations for many sold out Broadway shows.

Here are some other lists of what's open in different neighborhoods. Add other information and websites that you find!

http://myupperwest.com/upper-west-si...pile-the-list/

The Met museum may reopen on Wednesday http://www.metmuseum.org/

"New-York Historical society will reopen Wednesday: 10-6 with pay-as-you-wish admission for Hurricane Sand relief."

The New York Times started some lists today ,but hopefully the updates tomorrow will be more encouraging
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...#sha=cfdd2764f
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Topping, though I suspect many of the regular NYC posters are out of power or otherwise occupied.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:49 PM

All tourists are welcome to go to my apartment and clean it (I'm stuck elsewhere and my housekeeper couldn't get there-obviously).
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:50 PM

Nyer, you are probably correct about the studio tapings. Fallon and Letterman taped without an audience on Monday (kudos to them for still taping although I'd be pissed if I were a crew member) although Stewart, Colbert, and Kelly and Michael have been off.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 05:52 AM

Stewart lives in NJ and I know Princeton is still without power!
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

another list from NY magazine http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/1...pen-today.html

I see that more of the local TV shows (Kelly, The View) are back on the air. I think the problem will be if enough of the crews can get into the city. I don't think we need to worry whether Jon Stweart can get a ride in from NJ now that bridges are reopened, or I think someone could have sprung for a midtown hotel or corporate apartment stay
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM

I can't imagine being stuck in NYC with nothing to do! How is that possible?
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 09:12 AM

Power out, public transit not running (waited on Columbus Ave almost an hour this am - finally got a car - but did not see a single bus the whole time - when they should be comng every 5 minutes) and many workers straned in outer boroughs or NJ - so very limited staff in most places.

We have about 35 people - out of 200 - in the office today and are still trying to track down 12 that no one has heard from at all since Friday.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 09:20 AM

I live in downtown. It's like a tale of two cities above and below 27th street. We have no power, no cell phone signals/internet. No stores open except for some street carts selling hot dogs, cup cakes and pretzels. Completely dead downtown. Even Chinatown which is always open Christmas, New Year basically everyday of the week is completely shutdown. So we moved this morning to stay with friends uptown. As the car crossed 27th street, it went from everything closed, driving through all traffic lights (because they are not working) to a normal Wednesday in Manhattan. I am proud of my town that there is absolutely no looting, no mayhem to speak of (except those directly caused by Sandy). All you see has been calm, civilized neighborhoods helping each other out.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 10:14 AM

I think there'll be lots of available theater tickets! Make lemonade. Some special pricing for today and tomorrow http://www.playbill.com/news/article...ial-on-Tickets
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:02 AM

This might be your lucky day for the lottery of tickets to the Book of Mormon!
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Several museums were open today--the Met, NYHS (NYC and WWII exhibit is good, but smaller than I expected), Guggenheim(only Picasso ex)

Friends have confirmed what flatfeet2 said that below 26th or so it's dead, but midtown and uptown neighborhoods are vibrant. Schools are still closed and many adults still home and the weather was good enough for people to be out.

Bus service today was non existent The buses that did run were so crowded they didn't stop at many stops, They should have run them as limited buses where they stop only at major stops (usually where they'd intersect with subways or crosstown buses) to speed things up and have more orderly loading and unloading.

Very limited train service is expected tomorrow, but most people should count on walking most places. I didn't see a single free cab today.