Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   'Stuck' in Charleston. What to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/stuck-in-charleston-what-to-do-876365/)

ChicagoDallasGirl Feb 3rd, 2011 05:27 AM

'Stuck' in Charleston. What to do?

Hey y'all. DH and I extended our trip (to Raleigh and Asheville) due to the weather/airport conditions in Dallas. We were set to leave yesterday, but decided to head south. So, we knocked out an additional Capitol building (Columbia, the 17 for us) and then drove another 110 miles south to Charleston. Got here last night in time to find a hotel and have dinner. Today DH has all day conference calls, that I hope will be canceled, but if not I'm on my own.

Any 'must do/must see' suggestions for a solo gal? Keep in mind, I'm in the family way, so nothing too strenuous. :-) DH and I will likely stroll the Historic District tonight, so I was thinking of getting a little farther out.

I've heard not to bother with Fort Sumter as it will chew up much of the day. I really want to see the coast, so was thinking about driving out to Seabrook, Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island. Heard the latter would definitely be worth the effort.

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks bunches, cdg

Brian_in_Charlotte Feb 3rd, 2011 05:59 AM

Drive out to Isle of Palms where there should be plenty of parking "downtown" if you want to walk on the beach a bit. Then take the short drive over to Sullivan's for lunch and a few shops. Either Poe's (burgers) or Peel's (casual seafood) or the BBQ place next door are great lunch choices depending on what you are hungry for.

The historic district is big enough to walk both day and night. Be sure to make it all the way down to the water and Battery Park. Then walk though the residential area of the Battery to take in some of the great architecture. This is best done during daylight hours.

starrs Feb 3rd, 2011 07:39 AM

I've always wanted to go on a Gullah tour. That's how I'd spend the day today.

cmcfong Feb 3rd, 2011 07:40 AM

Stroll down King Street (stop in Bob Ellis if you are in the mood for shoes).
Take the Gullah Tour(your hotel can hook you up).

Lucky you, Charleston is a glorious place to be "stuck".

Gretchen Feb 3rd, 2011 07:52 AM

If you're going to "drive out" why not go to a plantation and do something that is "Charleston". Since they were rice planters they are on the river. Have lunch some place wonderful. And eat "charleston food"--seafood done right and not faux BBQ!!
There is SO much to do in charleston!!

Gretchen Feb 3rd, 2011 07:52 AM

Oh, for a fun book store go to the Blue Bicycle, across and down the street from the Francis Marion. New and used books FUN.

starrs Feb 3rd, 2011 08:05 AM

cmcfong, I think we were typing at the same time. GMTA! :-)

cmcfong Feb 3rd, 2011 11:16 AM

LOL! It is a good way to get a most unique perspective on that beautiful city.

suewoo Feb 3rd, 2011 12:57 PM

All of the above are great. Get DH and go to FIG for dinner. Or 82 Queen. Or SNOB. Or High Cotton. Walk down East ay Street and look at the homes.

suewoo Feb 3rd, 2011 01:11 PM

*Bay*
Cat helping me type.

ChicagoDallasGirl Feb 3rd, 2011 02:34 PM

Hey y'all. Thought I'd posted earlier after Brian's reply, but somehow it disappeared. I drove out to Sullivan's Island and had lunch at Fiery Ron's - pulled pork with slaw, mac & cheese. Yu um! I drove around a bit and visited a couple beach spots near Fort Moultrie before heading north to Isle of Palms. From there, I took 517 back around - stopping for gas and a drink - before landing on South Battery. LOVED this area. Did not want to leave and was so sad DH didn't get to see it. He's done with all the calls, but now he's sleepy. LOL So, looks like it'll be another hour before we head out to dinner.

suewoo Feb 3rd, 2011 02:34 PM

Here are you going?

ChicagoDallasGirl Feb 3rd, 2011 03:03 PM

Not sure, Sue. We've got a list: Hyman's, Virginia's, SNOB, FIG, etc. Haven't decided, but leaning toward SNOB or Virginia's. We'll just head out and see where we land. DH is up and ready to go. Yay!

ChicagoDallasGirl Feb 3rd, 2011 06:12 PM

Wound up at Bocci's. DH had spaghetti bolognese and I had the caprese salad and ziti. Very good.

Gretchen Feb 4th, 2011 04:05 AM

Do NOT go to Hyman's. We had a LOVELY lunch at Virginia's. Just a thought--you are missing the cuisine of the Low Country--other people "say" they can do it, but no one does it like charleston.

Brian_in_Charlotte Feb 4th, 2011 04:52 AM

Will have to try Fiery Ron's next time we're down there.

suewoo Feb 4th, 2011 05:56 AM

Fiery Ron's is good and they have GREAT Brunswick Stew. You don't see that around here.

Seel's on Sullivans closed. Rumor has it that it may become a Taco Boy. Yay.

ChicagoDallasGirl, if your're still here I encourage you to go to 82 Queen for lunch. It's a great day for she-crab soup.