Stu's favorite restaurant along the coast - near Half Moon Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today's SF Chronicle had a small review of one of my favorite restaurants along the coast - just south of San Francisco near Half Moon Bay. Best at lunch, and then a wallk along the beach afterwards. Make reservations in advance if you want a window seat.

http://tinyurl.com/24abw2

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM

Thanks Stu.
I'll try to stop by on my visit this year.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:23 AM

Thanks for posting this Stu.

We ate lunch at Sam's last week. It was our first time there. We spent the morning beachcombing and exploring at my favorite beaches around San Gregorio and Pescadero.

We ordered one cup of each type of choweder, fish and chips and a lobster roll. The food was all great except for the lobster roll. It was a little underwhelming. The portion of lobster seemed a little skimpy, granted the sandwich was only 19.95, so we weren't expecting a mountain, but it seemed light on the the meat. There was no tail meat in it, only claw meat, which was a little strange. The rolls I've had before all had chunks of tail meat in them, so my expectations were not met with that portion of the lunch.

The fish was delicious and plentiful and the fries were nice and crispy and weren't overwhelmed with the Old Bay seasoning that is put on them.

Both chowders were good.

Service was great. The atmosphere and the location are wonderful too. All in all, we had a nice lunch. I'd go back and give the lobster roll another try.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking forward to it!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the tip, Stu, see you Sat!

Appreciate the comments, iamq, after a 1.75 lb lobster Xmas dinner last year on the east coast, skimpy rolls are no fun to eat. I heard there is a shack near the Redwood City lagoon that has decent rolls, haven't tried it.

Has anyone had a drink at the Half Moon Bay Ritz? I hear raves about the grounds resembling the Scottish moorlands.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM
dmlove

Sort of OT - the one in Redwood City is the Old Port Lobster Shack (branch in North Beach, too).

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Stu and others--Would you mind mentioning your favorite restaurants in San Francisco---We are coming with a 15 year old (who is pretty adventurous in her eating). We are already booked at Zuni Cafe and Slanted Door. How about quaint Italian in North Beach? Also, where would you go for best cup of coffee in late afternoon? Thanks so much.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Don't know if anything in North Beach is quaint - most are loud & boisterous.

I would take the Hyde St cable car to Frascati on Hyde. Nice neighborhood, somewhat quaint (still loud), and the cable car trip to dinner would be fun for a 15 YO - and you too.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
dmlove

If you are in North Beach when you want that cup of coffee, try here (Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store):

http://tinyurl.com/3ad7zs

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I was there this weekend. The food looked GREAT. I just enjoyed a glass of wine, but...
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM

I really like The Stinking Rose and Steps of Rome in North Beach (both on Columbus).
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Thank you for the suggestion!

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Da Flora is quirky and quaint...and good.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Certainly not in the "fine dining" category of restos in HMB-but on a recent return trip from Monterey, via Hwy 1, the car voted "we want fish and chips--turn in at the next Union Jack" and "voila"--Cameron's Inn appeared on the coast side of Hwy 1. Good Pub grub--looked like they might be a good stop for a summer time party stop. Loved the fish & chip BTW.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM

bubbles76:
Zuni Cafe and Slanted Door are both delicious choices for dining. Although my favorite Italian is not in North Beach, but rather in the Mission district (Delfina), you might want to consider Cafe Macaroni or Macaroni Sciue Sciue in North Beach, both on Columbus Avenue. I haven't dined there in a few years, but had an enjoyable experience at tiny Macaroni Sciue Sciue. Also, you can check out reviews of restaurants on the San Francisco Chronicle website: sfgate.com/food.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
best cup of coffee in late
afternoon?

... in North Beach: Caffe Roma. Hands down, bar none. Great spot for people-watching, too.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM

The Ritz does have that rustic moor feel, I suppose - although I think Spanish Bay is much more so.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Sam's is a great stop, especially sitting outside on a beautiful sunny day!

I agree with some above regarding NBC's "Top 10 sandwiches in the country" Sam's Lobster Roll.

Sam's is simply warm lobster dredged in butter, served on a warmed bun with more butter.

A true "lobster roll" served anywhere in New England, is lobster tossed with mayo, etc. served on a toasted and buttered hot dog bun. I was disappointed with Sam's. "The Lobster Shack" in Redwood City is supposed to serve a great Lobster Roll. I didn't feel like waiting in line to get in the place the one time I was there. The owners are from Maine I believe...

Sam's blue crab sandwich on the other hand, is a great sandwich (IMO).

Cameron Inn has good beer, but the food is horrible! Frozen appetizers you could find in any supermarket freezer section.