Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Streetmaps and cityguides... where to find?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

This forum is fantastic for research, and one Fodorite has even given me directions how cool is that?! But, I am still going to need some excellent, detailed streetmaps for our December trip - trying to get a map (or guide that includes a good map) to Nashville, Chattannooga and Atlanta. We have the big Southeast one for the big drives, but need a really good streetmap for the stops en-route.

I use AAA Map 'n' Go but that doesn't have the detail we need.

Over here in the UK it is really hard to find these, and can't see anywhere online. None of the websites I have tried include these cities!

Anyone know of options or places I can purchase these? (Print outs from the internet are not going to be clear enough, I suspect)

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:43 AM

T found following interesting info and sites :
- Atlanta : www.acvb.com
- Chattanooga : www.chattanooga.gov
- Nashville : www.nashvillecvb.com

Hope this will help you. Paul
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 03:43 AM

You might have to find the really good ones IN the city you are visiting when you arrive. Somewhere like WalMart or a grocery store sells them or try a large bookstore: Barnes and Noble is one that carries different city maps.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Ooooh, Barnes and Noble - that's a good idea. We don't have one down here in the South West (that I know of) but next time I go to London I will check and see. I've ordered a couple from Amazon, but you can't really see what they're like until they are here, so we'll see.
Thanks for that suggestion, mamajo, and thanks to Paul also - going to take a look at the websites this afternoon!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:48 AM

I really like Street Wise Maps for larger cities....lots of detail.

http://www.streetwisemaps.com/StreetwiseMapsPage.html
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:15 AM
stjohnbound

And Google maps is great too:

www.maps.google.com

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 05:44 AM
QC

Three seconds after typing "Atlanta Map" into amazon.co.uk I got about a dozen maps in stock.

I like the Insight Flexmaps. It's laminated. It costs about 5 pounds.

Amazon also has Nashville maps. Streetwise Nashville looks to be the best of the lot. It's 3 pounds thirty.

Oh look, they even have a Chattanooga map. Keep in mind Chattanooga is a very minor city where foreign visitors almost never go, it's like a US Store carrying a map of Bolton or Truro. 4 pounds, but this one is a special order.

My suggestion is to buy the Atlanta map ahead of time, then go to a bookshop in Atlanta like Barnes & Noble or Borders (chains, various locations) to buy the Chattanooga and Nashville maps. They will certainly have them there. It will be cheaper than ordering them in the UK.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:27 AM

www.mapquest.com

M
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:51 AM

The streetwise maps are the ones that are laminated, right? Those are great because they don't get torn at the folds and you don't really have to worry about spilling on them because of the plastic coating.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM

This is something fairly different, and I’m sure will excite you. Download and have a look at Google Earth while it’s still in the free beta version. I have viewed other satellite image programs but none that quite make you into an arm-chair rocket-traveler.

http://earth.google.com/

“Google Earth streams the world over wired and wireless networks enabling users to virtually go anywhere on the planet and see places in photographic detail. This is not like any map you have ever seen. This is a 3D model of the real world, based on real satellite images combined with maps, guides to restaurants, hotels, entertainment, businesses and more. You can zoom from space to street level instantly and then pan or jump from place to place, city to city, and even country to country.”

For a quick tour after you download, click View>Play Tour. Right click to pause the tour at any location; click View>Play Tour to resume.

You may also type in any city or address at the top left and hit “enter” and you will be swiftly taken there from anywhere around the globe.

At the bottom center, you may click on lodging, roads, dining, terrain, borders; zoom in and out, pan directions, print and email.

I just downloaded this and haven’t discovered all it can or cannot do, but my first reaction is that it’s quite amazing. Happy globetrotting!

~ ben
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:49 AM

I don't think that you will have any problem with finding city maps once you get here. State maps of Georgia and Tennesee would also have insets of major cities which might work best for you. You really, really don't want a map of Atlanta that has ALL the streets on it.

Walmart, Barnes & Nobles, Book-A-Million and even some office supply stores will have what you need. Your car rental agency (especially if it's near an airport) would also be able to supply you. Even some convience stores and large gas stations keep a supply.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for all the replies. I have managed to order a Nashville map and an Atlanta map on the internet, so fingers crossed on those. I have a US Road Map, so I am going to worry about the smaller roads around Chattannooga once we are en-route to it, if we end up needing it at all.

Ben ~ Google Earth is amazing, huh? I can see my Dad's house here in England lol! Thanks for the link to that!

Thanks again,
Rachel