Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Straight in Provincetown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/straight-in-provincetown-359031/)

LRK May 12th, 2008 09:29 AM

Straight in Provincetown

Where are some good places for a couple of straight 20 year old guys to hang out/dance/hear music/meet girls in P-Town?

wyatt92 May 12th, 2008 10:04 AM

Honestly, I can't think of anywhere specific in Ptown. The Wicked Oyster or the Beachcomber in Wellfleet are good places. Hit the Beachcomber in the late afternoon after the beach.

capxxx May 12th, 2008 11:04 AM

Governer Bradfords'

Squeeling Pig

Most of the bars that are in restuarants (as opposed to stand-alone) have a mixed crowd.

Dukey May 12th, 2008 11:38 AM

You guys DO want good music, right???????

seafox May 14th, 2008 04:30 PM

There are many bars that are gay and many that are mixed as well. TH GB is more straight and I would suggest you start there, meet a few folks and then find your way around on Commercial Street. So the bigger question is where not to go. The Boatslip, The A House, Crown and Anchor, the Porch bar and Vixen are a few.

gyppielou May 14th, 2008 04:43 PM

go to falmouth

NeoPatrick May 14th, 2008 04:49 PM

Am I out of touch with reality? Why would a couple of straight 20 year old guys pick Provincetown as a place to go pick up girls? What am I missing here?

gomiki May 14th, 2008 05:24 PM

Provincetown is a unique and wonderful place. There is a lot of great advice here but I must ask the same question as Neo. Do you want a place to meet girls as a priority? I don't think you can get into anyplace (including the Beachcomber unless you get there before 4:00PM when the band starts) without an ID for a 21 year old. And then they will throw you out.

So now what????

Dukey May 15th, 2008 12:19 AM

Go during Lesbian week????

gail May 15th, 2008 12:19 AM

I missed the age of travelers when I passed on this the first time. LRK - I read some of your previous posts and it appears one of these 20 year olds is your son. Provincetown is perhaps one of the most unlikely places to meet girls. And being under 21 makes it even less likely. The music venues are small, and they are bars - it is unlikely they will even be allowed in the door during music hours.

If they are locked into Provincetown for some reason, meet girls on the beach during the day - but there are still some who will think 2 young men together are gay - even though I am significantly older, I think most people do not associate Provincetown with a heterosexual pick-up area.

tom42 May 15th, 2008 04:46 AM

Ahh, now it is starting to make a little more sense. ; - )

NeoPatrick May 15th, 2008 07:04 AM

Maybe the original idea was that since they are straight, they won't have much competition in picking up the few girls who are looking?

cybor May 15th, 2008 07:27 AM

Probably the Governor Bradford and as mentioned the Squealing Pig (the name says it all). Perhaps I'm wrong but..... I won't make claims that you'll find a nice girl at either place to bring home to your Momma though.
As for the rest, I think you get the picture - between gays and family week which bring in families of all stripes including straight, it's not a great hook up place for straights percentage wise.

Now if your talking about art, beauty, great food and atmosphere it's the place to be.
Cheers!

tom42 May 15th, 2008 09:05 AM

I wasn't thinking along those lines Patrick - more like I don't see the two 20 yr old guys asking about where to pick up girls, just the Dad. ; )

LRK May 16th, 2008 04:09 PM

You guys are so great! Yes, I am the mother of 2 boys, almost 20 and 15. We have been coming to Provincetown with them every year since they were in utero and they love it! Here's the thing...friends of ours from Sweden called unexpectedly and said they wanted to come to the Cape with us this summer...they have boys the same age and we have known each other for years and traveled together, most recently in Italy. But they have heard us talking about the Cape so often, that this summer, with the US on sale for Europe, they decided they finally wanted to come... So, I was trying to decide which town to base ourselves in-- I asked the boys, "What do you think guys? Brewster, Orleans, Wellfleet, or Truro. They both look at me like I am crazy and say "PROVINCETOWN!" So, I am happy because my husband and I love P-Town madly and so i rent side-by-side townhomes for our two families down overlooking the Moors, and then I start thinking about my restless, relentlessly heterosexual older son, and his Swedish friend, just finishing up his first year in the Swedish navy (where they can drink at 18) and I think-- Oh no, what have I done? One reason I loved the idea of them in Provincetown was because they wouldn't ever have to drive--if you get my drift-- Anyway, your posts tonight provided us with lots of laughs. Hey--it's just a week, right? Thanks to everyone!

seafox May 16th, 2008 05:11 PM

Ok - you know what - they are going to have a great week. They might not find the girls of their dreams, but they'll have a great time trying!!!! I love the mix we have in town and I can't tell you much aI appreciate families like yours.

Seamus May 16th, 2008 07:26 PM

A 19 year old Swedish sailor in P'town will not want for attention! ;-)