Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Stowe village lodging choices (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/stowe-village-lodging-choices-511103/)

gores95 Mar 10th, 2005 05:25 AM

Stowe village lodging choices

Hello. We are going to Stowe village in late March for some skiing. We have narrowed the lodging choices down to two: Green Mountain Inn and Golden Eagle Resort. The GMI is a little more expensive than the GER and does not include b-fast in the rate. The GMI has an OUTDOOR heated pool that sounds neat but the GER has an indoor one.

Has anyone stayed in either and which do you recommend?

Thanks,

Marc

bennnie Mar 10th, 2005 05:35 AM

We stayed at the Golden Eagle a few years ago. The rooms were nicely furnished and decent sized. The grounds are okay but not great. In the winter that won't matter that much - we were there in the summer. The indoor pool is in a separate building from the accommodations. The GER is more like a nice motel than a true resort. It is located on the Mountain Rd across from a very good pizza place. All in all its a pretty decent place generally with reasonable prices. I would stay again.

I have not stayed at the Green Mountain Inn. The Inn is located in the downtown area.

Fodorite018 Mar 10th, 2005 05:57 AM

Wow, Bennie practically took the words right out of my mouth! We stayed at the GER for a week over Christmas a few years ago and it was perfect for us. They had firewood right outside our door for our fireplace in the room. The room was quite large and had a nice sitting area. It was nicely furnished and not worn or dated at all. Although the rooms opened to the outside instead of a hallway, it was covered and did not have the motel feel about it. I am guessing it is set up that way for ski gear, but that is just a guess. It worked great for us that way. We would definitely stay there again.

The Partidge Inn restaurant across the street is very good too. The movie theater in town is very small, but shows new releases. The best part though is that when you are sitting in the theater, you can order drinks in the rear, and not just sodas! We had hot toddys while watching a Disney movie, so it was nice for kids and parents, lol!

Denise_from_Toronto Mar 13th, 2005 07:16 PM

I just came back from Stowe 2 weeks ago. We stayed at the Town & Country. It is a family run place. Breakfast and dinner were included. The food was great. They have a small indoor hot tub and indoor pool. The owners are very friendly. The rooms are pretty good - not luxurious. We didn't have a car and found it difficult to get around at night time - the roads are not safe to walk on. Once you are in town there are sidewalks so no problem walking around. The shops are quaint and interesting. The locals are very friendly. Last time we stayed at the Mountaineer Inn - rooms smaller, food not as good, but fabulous indoor pool and huge hot tub.

dfrostnh Mar 14th, 2005 01:52 AM

We stayed at the Golden Eagle a couple of falls ago. It was one of the nicest rooms we've ever had because of the size, small reading alcove and balcony overlooking the pond (we were in the rear building). We loved the gas fireplace. I seem to recall there was a choice between a jacuzzi tub or a kitchenette. We chose the tub. The location is great. If you want a full breakfast, there's a little place next to the movie theater that's was very good. We would stay there again. Although motel like, it is set back from the road. Did you ask if they are connected to a cross country ski trail?