Stopping on way from Cary, nc to Indianapolis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2014, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving my daughter from Cary, NC to Indianapolis for a job and planning to stop half way to spend the night. Looks like Charleston, WV is the best bet. Any recommendations on hotels there and things to do? Or a different place to stop other than Charleston?
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 03:41 AM

I would go a bit further personally. It is only about a 10 hour drive and not a difficult one at all.
mapquest says to go north from Greensboro to hit I77--the only part of the trip I don't know first hand, but it isn't far. I would take I64 from Charleston to Route 52. Then at Portsmouth Ohio take Rout32 north to hit Route 35 to Dayton. If you must stop, that would be a good place. The drive across southern Ohio on 35 is quite beautiful--4 lane highway and not heavily travelled.
The last part of the drive on I70 from Dayton to Indianapolis will be trying with more trucks than you can believe!!
There are places to stay all along the way, but in southern Ohio, if you want to stop there, at the intersection with I71 on Route35, there is a huge shopping outlet mall, and many motels.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Gretchen! Is there a reason you recommend 52 to 32 to 35 instead of just getting on 35 at Charleston? I am so unfamiliar with this area but just looking at the Google maps directions. Thanks again for your help
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 05:15 PM

I don't think you can get on 35 at that point. I "think" you have to go north on 77 and get 35 up a bit north. Route 52 is an interesting drive along the Ohio River for a little while. It is well marked.
I'll take a look, but I think it is also shorter. I know I have never considered going north of Charleston on I77 to get to western Ohio.
I drive to near Dayton from Charlotte often and this is my preferred way.
If you want an alternative for your return, you could take the interstate from Indianapolis to Cincy, and then I75 and I40 back to Cary. Also a pretty trip and easy.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 03:22 AM

I checked the map again, and if you look closely at the map, at Charleston you get on 64 to 52. The other route suggested is 52 along the river to Cincy and then up 74. That is an interesting drive along the river, mostly 4 lane, and probably is no further than the 35 route. I used that route when going to see our daughter in Oxford, near Cincy.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Gretchen! This is really helpful