Stopping in LA overnight from east coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We hate the trip from the east coast and are thinking about stopping in LA and staying in airport hotel for the night.

Has anyone here done this? What did you think of that plan?
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 08:23 AM

You are flying from the East Coast to where?

Typically, I prefer to just take the flights and relax when I get to the final destination.

There's so much extra work involved in landing, collecting bags, going to a hotel, checking in & out, for just one night.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 09:07 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer to connect and go on, as Tabernash says, but LAX is easier than many to stop for the night. There are a variety of hotels on Century Blvd just outside the airport, shuttles to get you there quickly. I've only done it once, at the Westin, a very nice hotel or was then, where I'd gotten an attractive rate. I'd do it again if necessary.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Good question where are you headed to, because if it's on to Hawaii, I'd say no, don't bother, but if you were continuing on to New Zealand, I'd say yes.

I have only done the stop-over thing once, on a trip from LA to Paris, stopping in New York. And the only reason was we had a 13 month in tow at the time. My parents, when they used to travel from LA to Europe, they would always stop in New York, stay a few days, and get time-adjusted before continuing on to Europe.

Generally, we just continue on. For example, in 2012, we flew from LA to Paris; then a connecting flight from Paris to Geneva. From Geneva, we took a train to Vevey, dropped our bags at the hotel then headed immediately out (20 hours after taking off!) to a concert in Montreux. What I wouldn't do to see Van Morrison!
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 10:31 AM

There are a lot of hotels near the airport, but they tend to be fairly expensive. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites and the Hampton Inn in El Segundo (immediately south of the airport). It's an easy trip to both hotels. The Embassy Suites is older but has renovated rooms; the Hampton Inn is brand new. There are some other hotels further down Sepulveda, including an Aloft and a Travelodge.

Dining is an issue in the area, with no good sit-down options within walking distance. The Embassy Suites has a restaurant with expensive (albeit good) bar food, but it's farther from everything else. The Hampton Inn is within very easy walking distance of a strip mall with a variety of fast-food options, including In-n-Out Burger. There's also an IHop across the street from the strip mall. More restaurants are within a short ride by Uber (less than $10).

But there are a lot of hotels on all sides of LAX. I only know the south side.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 10:36 AM

I usually do this when I'm headed to Asia from D.C. but I spend a couple nights in LA and do some sightseeing. It makes the long flight suck a little less and I enjoy LA. But for just one night? I don't think I'd bother.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 10:40 AM

Ultimate destination is one thing, more personal factors quite another. If a traveler is 30, or even 60 with plenty of stamina as I had in my 60s, yes, why stop? But after a long and vigorous travel life and now in my 70s, a stop sounds good to me, especially on unwieldy itineraries such as the ones I've been stuck with lately. Age and other factors count.

Since we don't know the particulars, nor in my opinion do we need to, if they feel they need a stop for any reason, why not help with the request?
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 12:29 PM

If you decide to stop overnight, don't stay in the LAX area, try Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach or maybe Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo, more restaurants in the area. If you do stay near LAX, stay in a hotel that has service on the Ocean Express so for $5 you can take a shuttle to Manhattan Village Mall, Plaza El Segundo or Manhattan Beach Pier which at least have some decent restaurants and shopping.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:36 PM

I replied on your other post, before I saw this busier one:

I say take a direct flight from NYC to Hawaii. It is an approx 9 to 9.5 hours direct flight NYC-HNL on United or Hawaiian, and possibly others.

I've done this both ways, many times over the years. I now only break it up if I have something I need to do on the west coast or if I absolutely can't get a direct flight

If you split it up it is about 5-6 hours per leg (NYC-LAX or LAX-HNL), plus you need to reclaim luggage, take a shuttle to a hotel, then do the reverse in the morning, go thru LA's long TSA lines, check in 90-120 minutes before your flight, and get your luggage and a cab in HNL. Exhausting way to start a vacation!

Even if I have to transfer planes on the west coast, it is still easier and cheaper to keep going instead of heading out to a hotel.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If flying to Hawaii keep going. If going to HongKong, Sydney, etc break up the trip if you wish. I think a non stop flight is easier however.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 06:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree 100+%. if just to Hawaii -- fly straight through. But if to Asia or OZ, then sure, a stop over in LA would be nice.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. And forgive my multiple postings on this subject. I am just learning this site
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:34 PM

I agree with those that mentioned flying straight through. I think it would be more stressful to deplane get luggage, take a taxi to a hotel (and the hotels near the airport are just ok nothing great about that part of LA). Then you have the added expense again of getting back to the airport - checking in, long lines, boarding. LAX is large and there is always a lot of traffic.

I would prefer to spend the 5 hours from LA to Hawaii on the plane and not want to miss one single minute of paradise in Hawaii!! Aloha!
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:53 PM

"...you have the added expense again of getting back to the airport..."

No added expense as nearby hotels are served by free shuttles. I've never found LAX difficult and would defer to the OP's feelings about stopping or going on for the reasons I mentioned above. In fact, it's prompted me to consider stopping overnight at LAX to make a difficult 3-leg trip, that I'd like to do every year, easier.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 03:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
ttt

Since people are posting to the other 3 threads and this one has the most activity - so we aren't reinventing the wheel so to speak . . .
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 03:09 PM

OP >

MmeP "I ... would defer to the OP's feelings about stopping..."

Why would OP have posted and asked what we thought if we should defer to his plan?

His question indicates to me he wanted personal feedback. If not then he should do what he prefers and layover in LA. End of discussion.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Nanabee, my comment was to suggest that we don't know Edward's reason for the question, only that they "hate" it. All most have done is say would they'd do, perfectly legitimate of course, but without knowing the reason for hating it, how can we advise? That's all I was saying, that there may be a good reason to stop.

So, I'd argue, not necessarily "end of discussion."
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:00 PM

I still have not seen where is the OP going?
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We still don't know where you are going, and that makes a difference.

If you're talking NY to Hawaii, I'd just hang in there and go all the way.

If destination is Asia or beyond, then maybe.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:52 PM

It is to Hawaii, per one of the other threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -