Reload this Page >

Beaches or lakes near New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:12 PM
marie

Is there such a thing as an uncrowded "beach" within an hour or so of NYC (by car). Doesn't need to be an ocean beach, I'm just looking for a place to take some out of town guests who are looking for some sun and sand. It can be relatively small and without concessions or lots of services. I've thought of the lakes in Harriman State Park but every time I've been there, it was crowded with large family groups having barbecues.
Any leads you can give me would be helpful. Thanks

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:19 PM
Ted

What day of the week? On weekends most everything will be relatively crowded. That being said, Long Beach is close and the beach goes on forever. Finding an uncrowded oasis isn't difficult. On weekdays, you could probably get by with Coney Island or the Rockaways.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:27 PM
marie

Unfortunately, I do mean on a weekend (work, you know .
Is there any hope?? Just a large pond with some sand around it, is that too much to hope for? How about any interestingly landscaped community pools somewhere in NJ, Connecticut, or Westchester/Rockland/Orange/Putnam county that might be open to people from outside the town???

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:01 AM
x

I am afraid that what you are looking for doesn't exist. Everything in the area is going to be crowded on a weekend. The only solution is to go early in the morning and leave early in the afternoon. I would, for example, start out for Jones Beach around 8 AM getting to the beach before 9.I would go to the last parking lot which is usually the last to become crowded. BY 1 pm it would be time to start back. You wouldn't have to worry about the crowds and you are likely to avoid heavy traffic problems

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:27 AM
Merilee

I think Wilcox Park on Route 199 in Stanfordsville, New York may be what you are looking for...it's in the Rhinebeck area...you can take the Taconic Parkway to the Route 199 exit...the telephone number is (845)758-6100...if you want to spend the night, check out a place named Jenny's Country Lodge Manor also in the Rhinebeck area...(845)876-1151...they serve a nice breakfast and have a "nostalgia" store attached.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:45 AM
mj

While not exactly the best fit, check out
Caumsett State Historic Park, Lloyd Harbor, LI Tel: 631-423-1770
and click on the link in left frame.

No sandy beach there - very rocky but it should be uncrowded and is close to Cold Spring Harbor and Oyster Bay.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Ted

How about taking a couple of beach towels, beach chairs if desired, a cooler, frisbee etc and going to Central Park's Great Lawn? You can set up shop next to the Turtle Pond in the shadow of Belvedere Castle.

Convenient restroom facilities are very close (at Delacorte Theater), and the people-watching and activity are just as good if not better than any beach.

Talk about a great New York experience!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
zootsi

There are some pretty nice seashore communities within 1 - 1 1/2 hours of New York. One I would reccommend are Spring Lake (upscale, may be a problem getting a one day beach pass), Manasquan (nice family beach town), and Point Pleasant (boardwalk, rides, nice beach).
Other towns on the Jersey shore can range from very upscale, to very sleazy, but the 3 I noted are all quite nice.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
suzanne

I second Long Beach, LI!! I've been there every summer for a volleyball tournament or two, and found it to be the least crowded beach within an hour of the city. The sand is super-super soft, and shade-lovers like myself have the option of sitting just under the boardwalk, where it's nice and cool. I've driven out there (parking spaces are not very easy to find right on the beach, but often a few blocks away) and I've taken the LIRR which lets you off a few blocks from the beach.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:02 AM
Merilee

Marie, it's $6.00 per day per person if you go to the beach at Spring Lake...I go there often and stay at The Breakers...buy your pass on the boardwalk across the street from the hotel and claim a spot on that part of the beach...the beach has eroded so much in recent years, but it's still so beautiful there...there's angle parking, but get there as early as possible to get a spot...the "main street" in town in Third, where there are many lovely shops and restaurants...Whose on Third is very casual and popular for breakfast foods, burgers and fries, etc...Two Sisters is a nice place for dinner...The Breakers has a very nice restaurant that serves good food that's open to the public...there's a very good Italian restaurant called La Nonna's Piancone in Bradley Beach, which is just a little north of Spring Lake...Anthony's in Brielle ( a little south is good, too)...if you go to Spring Lake take a walk on the boardwalk toward Belmar (north)...you'll have to walk in the street for a short distance...the difference between the 2 towns is interesting and they're only separated by the Belmar Wall...anyway, Zootsi had a great idea in suggesting Spring Lake.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:23 PM
Juliet

Ted has the right idea. The great lawn on a summer weekend is just like a beach without the sand. People everywhere in bikinis & trunks, having fun. Bring a blanket or a sheet and some sunscreen and you're in business.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:29 PM
marie

Thanks so far for the suggestions.
The Central Park idea, I'm afraid, just won't fly with my guests. Hard to swim in the lake...

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Carole

one more vote for spring lake!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:34 PM
goNets

I know you specified an hour by car, but if you drive to Spring Lake from NYC on a weekend you'll hit a ton of traffic. If I get there from Woodbridge in an hour, I'm happy.
You may want to consider the train (probably about an hour and a half to Spring Lake from NYC). Downside is that you'll have to walk about a mile to the beach. Train is closer to the beach in other towns though.
In any event Spring Lake is a pretty town populated by even prettier people. I'm convinced the town has some ordinance stating that each home most produce at least one young, athletic blond woman to run a couple of miles a day. Thus beautifying the community. If you don't have that in your family you can hire a substitute.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 01:59 PM
marie

Spring Lake sounds great (wll probably do a weekend there with friends) but as goNets pointed out, it might be closer to a 2 hour drive on a summer weekend.

So, does anyone know of 'hidden' lakes that I can get to more easily? I promise I won't tell anyone...

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:10 PM
gman

Jeez, can't you take a hint!?! What you're looking for DOES NOT EXIST. Why not just go to Long Beach and be done with it? If it's before July, the water will be too cold anyway, so you might as well go to Central Park! SHEESH!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:22 PM
suzanne

Marie,
Since I grew up an hour north of the city, I can tell you that, yes, there are lots of cute "hidden lakes". However, you need to belong to the lake association, have a town ID card, or membership to the lake in order to get in. Hate to say it, but that's the only way they can keep out the "city people".

That being said, we used to go to Clarence Fahenstock State Park(in Putnam County, off the Taconic) an awful lot as teenagers...it has a sandy beach and it's in a beautiful, seemingly "hidden" area in the middle of a forest. Anyone can get it for a fee (can't remember...$5 per car?). BUT it eventually got discovered by the city folk, who brought their sixteen kids, their boom boxes, and their habit of littering. After my last visit there 10 years ago, I never had any desire to return. Too bad - it was a great place.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Molly

Long Beach is less than an hour away by train (LIRR). It leaves from Penn Station. It is just a few blocks walk to the beach. And it's never too crowded.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Molly

Osceola Beach is a lake in Jefferson Valley, NY. Check out: http://www.osceolabeach.com

As far as I know, you do not have to live there. I think it would probably take 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get there from Manhattan.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
suzanne

Osceola is a slum of a beach...or at least it was in the late 80's. It was a tiny beach near the mall where my senior classmates and I would go to get drunk! Has it changed for the better?

Marie, my vote is still for Long Beach. It's surprisingly nice and not crowded.