Search

Need Help with 2-Week Outline of an Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with 2-Week Outline of an Itinerary

Hello all!

I'm planning a trip for this coming summer (probably July, could possibly do first half of August. Flexible dates).

I have a rough outline but I run into some trouble planning around SEKI part of the trip. I can't currently find any in-park lodging for more than one night so I'm trying to work around that. Our original plan had two nights inside SEKI, so if I leave it at one, then I have an extra day to tack somewhere on here as well. Would love suggestions on where to put that.

I haven't gotten into any of the nitty gritty details of the daily itineraries yet but would love some feedback on the overall plan and any places that need tweaking. I've mostly only planned our "major" events of the day. I also want to figure out where to tack on that extra day I had planned for (or if I should just leave it out)

I'll be traveling with my mother (in her 60s, up for easy hikes) and 12-year old son. We want to try to see as much as possible but also build in some down time here and there. (Down time can include driving time)

So, here's my rough outline:

Day 1: Fly into San Diego. (Coming from New England) Thinking of staying in La Jolla and just using the rest of this day to putz around, hang on the beach,etc.

Day 2: Balboa Park

Day 3: We're debating between San Diego Safari Park and San Diego Zoo. Preferences?

Day 4: Drive to SEKI. That's a long drive so I'm thinking maybe stop and stay in Three Rivers? Would we have time or even want to get into the park by that point?

Day 5: Sequoia (Giant Forest, Crescent Meadow Loop, Congress Trail, etc) Stay that night at Wuksachi.

Day 6: Check out Wuksachi and See King's Canyon before driving to Yosemite. (Feasible? Do we do King's Canyon Scenic Byway? Or skip it?) Looking at staying at Tenaya Lodge outside Yosemite. Also probably watching for cancellations inside the park.

Days 7,8,9: Yosemite

Day 10: Drive to San Francisco

Day 11: San Fran (Pier 39? Golden Gate Park)

Day 12: Alcatraz and maybe Emporium

Day 13: Fly back out of San Fran
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 07:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Juts a quick comment for now . . . >>Looking at staying at Tenaya Lodge outside Yosemite. >Day 12: Alcatraz and maybe Emporium
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 07:58 PM

While at Sequoia, you might want to see Crystal Cave.

i agree with Janis about the drive from Tenaya to the Valley but it makes perfect sense to stay their your first night after spending time at Kings Canyon that day. Tenaya is nice and by the time you check out Kings and drive towards Yosemite, tenaya would be a good stopping point for the day.

Try to get an early start to avoid some of the traffic the next day then look in El Portal for lodging the next two nights if you can't get lodging in the valley that way you avoid all the back and forth driving to tenaya every day.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

LOL Definitely meant the Exploratorium.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize Tenaya would be quite so far! I'm definitely watching for cancellations in the park and will check out the other place you mentioned.
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 06:09 AM

My wife purchased her wedding dress at the Emporium in 1971. It closed many moons ago.

Pier 39 & the Exploratorium would be near the bottom of my "to do" list (just above Fisherman's Wharf) - except maybe for the 12 YO & the Exploratorium.

Here are some alternative things to do
https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...ations-356478/

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 06:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
With two weeks is there a way you could make this trip a loop instead of a drop off situation? My favorite airports in the region to rent a car from are Las Vegas, Fresno and Sacramento.
If you used Las Vegas you could include Death Valley on the way to SEKI and Yosemite. If you have to start with San Diego, consider landing at Burbank (Bob Hope) airport and taking a Pacific Surfliner train all the was to San Diego avoiding driving in LA traffic. The Burbank Amtrak station is across the street from the entrance to the BUR airport (walking distance).
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 08:22 AM

I hate Yosemite in summer. It's a frickin' zoo!