COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Stop the "Moving Ads"! They Make me Dizzy!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Susan

Stop the "Moving Ads"! They Make me Dizzy!

Am I the only one who hates these Fodors ads????? You know the ones that I mean? You are trying to read the message board & that big huge dog is drooling & licking his chops! Or, someone is pouring tea into a tea cup. And, today we have snowflakes falling! I have to paste a "sticky note" over these irritating ads b/c the movement makes me dizzy! Anyone else bothered by this?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Jen

Yes, that dog is creepy and scary. What you do is keep yourself clicked onto long threads so you can hide him.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:41 AM

Try the Stop bottom on top of your address bar

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:05 AM
OO

Try Windows XP. I see no ads anymore! Completely vanquished. Morningstar used to (still does?) have them adjacent to the column where you read up on a stock or fund, making it next to impossible to concentrate on what you were reading. If anything, that made me anti whatever was being advertised and less likely to buy/use product rather than more so.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:41 AM
helpful

Delete Macromedia Flashplayer from your computer. I did, and although I sometimes see the pop-up prompting me to download flashplayer, I do not have it installed and I see NO ads, flashing or otherwise.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
x

what drives me batty is dropping my keyboard and then grabbing my pencil and trying to write down whatever the ad offers - in a seamless sort of way - but it just all happens too fast for my brain. supposedly I'm left brained - I've no idea what that means, but have been told it means I'm good at emptying the trash can and loading Nikons. Which was why I thought I might be able to actually capture and then use some of that ad material Fodors is throwing at us. Sort of as my own personal thankyou for all the free travel stuff on this website. As usuaul, I've overreached. But I've not seen a drooling dog - that would be interesting.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:07 AM
mike

All you have to do is click on the ad. BTW, what's a pencil?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:24 AM
cb

I think I saw a "pencil" at the Metropolitan last week. It's some sort of primitive writing device.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:25 AM
xxx

Is it like, what's the name, a "typewriter"?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:25 AM
x

A pencil is something to hold your lead. If someone asks whether you have any lead in your pencil, it's what you pull out and show. Many prefer a number 2, which is a bit softer, and good for filling in the spaces . Others go for the harder variety. Many are into colors. There are specialty pencils as well, some for even high brows.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Patrick

Gee, I have a new computer with XP and yes, most ads are gone. I also re-downloaded a free popup stopper that gets rid of the annoying popups on some sites. But that dumb dog still drools all over the bottom of my screen on this site. Has anybody found a way to get rid of him? D-con in the Alpo maybe?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:37 AM
x

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:47 AM
OO

Patrick, the drooling dog sounds interesting but I don't have him either. Ah...my Norton Internet Security also has an ad blocking option which must have killed the dog and any remaining ads. It's NICE!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Patrick

It's not there all the time. This dog just sometimes appears at the bootom of the page, sometimes just showing the top of his head. Then I may not see him for a day or two. Next thing I know he's back again. Sort of like an old stray that used to come by my back door.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:14 PM
R U Sure

Patrick,

Are you sure that dog is something Fodors put there? I'm not certain, but it does sound a little like the dreaded Canine Expectorus virus which is sweeping the Internet.
I don't have any dog on my screen.
Something sounds suspicious here.

Susan,

The ad that drives me crazy -- actually, I think it interferes with the electrical circuitry in my brain -- is the one that flashes bright red on and off 150 times a minute. You know, the "Your a winner if this is flashing!"
I feel sorry for anyone with Epilepsy. It just has to trigger seizures. Like those Japanese cartoons.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Patrick

For those of you who don't have the ads: scroll down to the very bottom of the messages on this post. Just below the tiny print that says Home / Destinations /etc. there is usually a little banner about 1 inch high. This is where the dog appears. Sometimes there is a little steaming teacup, sometimes a small boat rocking. I don't pay attention to what these are ads for, but they are actually part of the site itself, so I doubt that any ad stopper gets rid of them. They just don't show up until you get clear to the bottom of the page.

To R U Shur: Gosh, I hope not. I just got rid of the Mad Cow virus which kept spilling messy cow piles all over my keyboard.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Susan

Patrick, the drooling, licking dog appears at the top of my screen....I can actually scroll down & hide him ( or, I do the "sticky note" thing!) Interesting that everyone seems to have a different version of these "moving ads"!!! (Do they make anyone else dizzy?)

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:28 PM
x

Is that what it is? I just installed XP a few months ago. On this and other message boards, people are always complaining about ads, but I wondered why I don't see them. God Bless Bill.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Marilyn

They make my computer dizzy, poor old thing. I just ignore them.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Judy

Those ads bother me too. (The dog and tea ads are for British Airways) By the way, I have a new computer with Windows XP and I certainly can see the ads. I tried sticky notes but they were almost as bothersome. Now I just try to keep them out of the range of the screen. Thanks for the suggestion regarding Norton's Internet Security -- perhaps I'll give that a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO