Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix/Scottsdale vs Ft. Lauderdale/Tamarac for retirement location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am looking t retire in about 5-7 years and move away from Midwest. Thinking about moving to one of these locations. I am a divorced, single woman and my children are grown. Probably would make the move alone. Need welcoming community with lots of options for activities. Have worked full time at demanding, stressful job my whole life. Am a little mobility-challenged but not sit-at-home. Need excellent medical facilities available, good cultural life, Jewish community, wide variety of restaurants.

Please share your thoughts and pros/cons about each location.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Hot and dry vs hot and humid. You need to visit both areas during all 4 seasons and spend some time in each. Check out driving to and from supermarkets, and other typical errand runs.

There is a Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

You will need to drive in both locations. [Not sure what mobility challenged means]. Not sure what public transit is in each place, but if that is important, check into that too.

Cultural - depends on what you mean by that - museums, broadyway type plays, college ed classes for seniors?

Jewish communities more prevalent in FL, but there are some in PHX.

Price differences between PHX and Scottsdale as there are between Tamarac and Ft Lauderdale [my brother lives in Tamarac].

Are you interested in "active adult communities"? Might be ideal for someone like you...Del Webb's are great. The initial price might be higher, but will offer a great variety of activities and sense of community.

Personally, I wouldn't live in either. That's one of the ways I ended up on NM!!
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

I drive, so no public transportation, but due to arthritis have some walking and stair climbing issues. Some day will probably end up on scooter, dreading that.

Art galleries, theatre, boutique shops, artisanal bakeries/restaurants, farmer's markets, college ed classes. Am a news junkie, very interested in world affairs. Love to travel.

My mother lives in Kings Point in Tamarac, like the idea of that type of community. If I move to Florida, will probably be to her condo in 5-7 years (she is 84). May she live to be 120!

Thought there was an outpost of the Cleveland Clinic near Tamarac? IIRC, my mother has been there for a checkup.

Thanks Deb! Please keep posts coming!
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM

How does humidity impact your arthritis? I would think it would be worse than dry heat. Have you been to PHX area? Again, I suggest visiting at different times of year to see how you do. And for more than a day or 2, if you can swing it.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM

Move to Scottsdale - I'll meet you there (my timeline is the same as yours!)
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Am in Scottsdale for a week on business. Thought heat would be awful, but not so bad. Everything is A/C. Am worried about humidity in FL. Seems nice. Plan to do some exploring this weekend. Hoe does cost of housing run here? How much for 2bed, 2ba condo in good area of Scottsdale?
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Pick up a Sunday paper and check out real estate ads
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 07:08 PM

I don't know anything about Arizona, but live near Tamarac. It is very definitely a Jewish friendly community. Cleveland Clinic Florida is maybe 20 minutes from Tamarac. Lots of 55+ communities. Right now it is HOT and humid, I cannot stand to be outside. But Arizona may be just as bad.

Ft Lauderdale has lots of restaurants, a Broadway-type theater, art galeries, shopping, boutiques,etc.

Wishing you well
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cheryl! Very familiar with Kings Point at Tamarac, Mother has lived there for 11 years, visited many times.

It's 110 degrees today in Scottsdale and have to admit I am working and staying in A/C. Seems better than 85 in Florida with humidity. My arthritis doesn't hurt here and my allergies/sinuses feel pretty good too.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 11:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IF you are talking from a FINANCIAL aspect of things here is some information for you.

Florida has no state income tax but property taxes tend to be higher as a result. I just moved to Fort Lauderdale from Northern Virginia. Sales tax is 6%. The real estate market here is still in the tank at some price levels so it can be a very good time to buy. There is absolutely no problem with getting medical care and all of those so-called "big names" in health care including Cleveland Clinic are here and begging for patients.

LOTS of Jewish folks, especially from areas of the Northeast.

But it sounds as if you are happy where you are so why would you move or is there some aspect of this I am not understanding?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Dukey, I live in Ohio. I am presently visiting Scottsdale for an extended stay on business.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 05:45 AM

We moved here(Davie)a year ago from Seattle and find more crime in this area then we are used to. Look at various areas crime rates before you buy as it is very hit and miss as to any given areas crime.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:07 AM

If you can stand the heat in Scottsdale this week, then you will be able to take the worst that it has to offer.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM

I am sorry, LBloom, that I didn't know of your habitation whereabouts.

As I said, if it's a matter of finances you might want to compare costs in Arizona vs. Florida.

As to crime rates, that often depends on specific sections of towns. I suspect the crime rates in Scottsdale may very well vary significantly from those in other parts of the Phoenix area and Broward County, Florida, is no exception to that.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 08:17 PM

Have lived in Phx/Scottsdale area for over 30 years (presently live in tucson...appreciably cooler here, especially at night!)
I would expect the North Scottsdale area would be more expensive. There are a lot of nice condos in area of Frank Lloyd Wright and Thompson Peak Parkway. The libraries are excellent in Scottsdale. The JCC is on Scottsdale Rd near Thunderbird. The Jewish community is substantial but probably nothing like what Florida is like. I am not familiar with the retirement communities; the sun cities and similar areas are usually on the fringes of the valley.
Scottsdale and Phoenix have a lot to offer in way of culture, museums, theater etc. I think it would be easier to drive around Scottsdale Phoenix than it would around Ft. Lauderdale.
Keep in mind, that it gets cold in the Phoenix area during the course of the winter as it is the desert.
Aside from the Mayo Clinic, there is Scottsdale Healthcare and other top notch medical facilities (as is typical of most urban areas).
Some people find the desert brown and not appealing while they love the waterways and tropical feel of Florida. Take your time in making your decision!
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 05:17 AM

Phoenix, IMHO, is not all that exciting. It's flat, plain, brown. It is unbearably hot in the summer, so most locals leave and go to Southern California. Having said that, we have friends who moved there from San Diego, and love it.

Have you thought about Tucson? It is a great town surrounded by mountains, has a lovely section of homes nestled up in the hills overlooking the city. It has a smaller more personal feel to it, and lots of great restaurants. It has a world class university too. Go Wildcats!!
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:35 AM

I like Tucson a million times better than Phoenix/Scottsdale, myself . Interesting Jewish scene, none of the fake landscaping which has overtaken Phoenix.
My arthritis is terrible in the Fl humidity and non a million times better in the Southwest.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 02:37 AM

As to crime rates, that often depends on specific sections of towns. I suspect the crime rates in Scottsdale may very well vary significantly from those in other parts of the Phoenix area and Broward County, Florida, is no exception to that.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 02:44 AM

Katzgar, I couldn't have said it better myself as you can see upthread
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 05:21 AM

yup, that's true