Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   STOMP at Orpheum (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/stomp-at-orpheum-617559/)

jdp867 May 22nd, 2006 01:23 PM

STOMP at Orpheum

I want to get tix for my husband to take our 8yr old daughter to see Stomp during their father/daughter trip in June(she will like this much more than Lion King, etc.) Assuming good tix are available, does anyone know if I'm better off getting first row of balcony if I can't get in the first 10 rows (or even if I can)?

Scarlett May 22nd, 2006 02:37 PM

We had first row balcony and also 2nd row, they are great seats ( we went about 4 times). You don't want to be too close to the stage as all that sweeping and such ends up on you :)
We took an 8 year old too, he loved it. (so did the 20-something year old ) :D

FainaAgain May 22nd, 2006 02:48 PM

I was on a balcony. Much better then close to the stage.

Kal May 22nd, 2006 02:52 PM

I went there once and there was a guy laying across 3-4 seats in the lower level...

I told him he couldn't save seats and all he did was mumble something back a couple of times.
I finally shook him and asked "where are you from!?"

He said <i>&quot;The BALCONY&quot;</i> :`(

FainaAgain May 22nd, 2006 03:01 PM

LOL Kal now I understand some strangeness of your behavior :*

Scarlett May 22nd, 2006 03:08 PM

LOL, Kal, you are such a :O)

Kal May 22nd, 2006 03:18 PM

Like I said in Texas the other night...&quot;Guilty as charged Your Honor&quot;.

We saw &quot;Lennon&quot; at the Orpheum last year.

And all kidding aside....We were well back of 10 rows and still had a great view/acoustics.

Loved that old building.
I like old stuff...that's why Faina and I are buddies.

FainaAgain May 22nd, 2006 03:23 PM

Kal, stop it! I am depressed enough without your quips. The other day shopping at the Dress Barn I got senior discount without a card :((

When I called the headquarters just to inquire at what age they start the discount, they said not to worry, they won't ask for ID, just ask for a discount on Wednesday only. Felt better. :&quot;&gt;

Kal May 22nd, 2006 03:26 PM

Hey! I thought you like old buildings too! :))

ellenbw May 22nd, 2006 05:11 PM

I would just avoid getting seats under the balcony as I don't like the acoustics under there.
Also, that area is pretty creepy, especially at night with some pretty agressive panhandlers. This has really freaked out our son and his friends when we went to see Lion King and other shows. Now, I try to park very close to the theatre or park farther out and take a taxi to our car when we go to the Orpheum. Just something to keep in mind.

kodi May 22nd, 2006 05:22 PM

I sat in the front row of the balcony and thought it was great. I would say it's a much better choice than the first 10 rows .

jdp867 May 23rd, 2006 02:17 PM

thanks. haven't heard back from broadway.com yet but signed up for front mezzanine. Appreciate all the input.

Kal May 23rd, 2006 02:47 PM

Crikies!!! <i>THAT</i> Orpheum!
Just missed it by a few thousand miles.

Why if I had any class I'd be embarrassed! #-O

starrsville May 23rd, 2006 02:48 PM

Kal, by the way, they WERE that catty! :-)

Kal May 23rd, 2006 03:04 PM

s'ville...I'm STILL scratching my scalp over that one! :-&lt;

starrsville May 23rd, 2006 03:05 PM

Cat thread shut down after only 19 minutes.