Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Still worth seeing Billy Elliot on broadway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:34 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed to NYC next month - friend said to see Billy Elliot. Just want to make sure that it is still worth seeing and if there is a way to get discounted tkts? Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Well if it was worth seeing 6 months ago - why would;t it be worth seeing now?

Do you mean is something else better? there is always something newer - sometimes better - but often not as good.

Not sure if they are discounting. Have a look at Broadwaybox.com - they will have a coupon code if the show is discounting.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM

It's absolutely worth it. I am biased though, a boy in our home town plays Billy Elliot. Google Jacob Clemente. It's a great show.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:37 AM

Billy Elliot is regularly discounted. The discount currently on broadwaybox (left column of the page is the discounts) expires on May 1 but I'm sure it will be extended if your visit is after that. It's also often available at the TKTS booths. If you can buy tix in advance and avoid standing in line, it's usually better seats. Info on the various tkts booths and what's been on recently is at tdf.org/tkts
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Great! I did notice that the broadwaybox discount expired on May 1 - thanks for letting me know they will probably extend. We will be there May 13-20, so I'll just wait. thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Now I'll tell you it wasn't one of my favorite shows despite the fact that I loved the movie. Many Americans find the language difficult to understand. If you haven't already seen the British film, you should rent it. There are so many GOOD shows playing right, some just opened, some about to open it makes your head spin. For more help on what you might like, why not tell us what you've seen and liked before? Here's a list of what's playing. http://www.playbill.com/events/listing/1.html
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Mclaurie - thanks so much, I did see the British Film although my son and daughter who I'm traveling with haven't. I will take you up on your offer of help. We've seen Wicked, Jersey Boys, Mary Poppins, Hairspray, Rent,The Lion King, Mamma Mia. Loved them all but favorites probably Rent, Wicked and Jersey Boys( favorite all time musical - Les Mis). Would LOVE to see Book of Mormon but were there May 13-20 and first avail. tickets are May 27. Also, was interested in In the Heights but it's no longer playing. I read some great reviews about Anything Goes, but to be honest, less interested in a revival, but if it's as great as everyone says I'll go. Priscilla does not appeal. Was also considering House of Blue Leaves, but just read that it's getting mediocre reviews. What's your opinion of Memphis - must see? I'm looking for 3, maybe 4 shows.

A friend also recommended Love, Loss and What I Wore - trip was originally going to be just daughter and I (btw she is almost 19), but now hubby is coming - though I told him he could join us but we weren't changing our itinerary...so we still may see this show!!

Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Here's a solid, solid endorsement of Billy Elliot. To us, it's one of the best things to hit Broadway in the recent years! Definitely see it!
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM

I have tickets to Wonderland in June. Not sure when it opens though. It is suppose to be fantastic!
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 09:06 AM

I haven't seen all of these (yet) but my recos would be for musicals
Billy Elliot
Sister Act
Baby It's You (not yet open)
American Idiot (if you like Green Day/rock)
Catch Me If You Can

Memphis is good, not great and there are too many other good options (IMO).

drama
War Horse
Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
Good People
Importance of Being Earnest
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM

I saw Billy Elliott last night in Portland Or and I thought it was fantastic! Wow- what a show
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Within the past month I saw Billy Elliot in Seattle and a close relative saw it on Broadway. We both enjoyed the show.

HTTY
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM

PS I saw Catch Me If You Can when it previewed in Seattle two years ago. It was very enjoyable. Aaron Tveit, Norbert Leo Butz, and Tom Wopat were all excellent and the staging was impressive.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM

I have been reading the history of the Billy Elliot story- very interesting. I had no idea of the miners strike in England or the impact on the economy. I had always thought Margaret Thatcher was a well thought of politician- but she certainly was not well thought of by the labor force in the UK. I attended the play with a lady from the UK and she had not much good to say about Margaret.

Helps to know some of the history before you see the musical