Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Still More New England Road Trip Questions!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in Craftsbury, VT for 6 days, ending on 9/2, which is the Friday before Labor Day. After that I was thinking of spending a few days on one of the islands in Lake Champlain, and driving some scenic roads in NH, then on to Maine (Acadia) for a total of about 8-9 days. I bought a Fodor's guide, and a map, but have only looked at them briefly so far.

I know I'll need reservations for Labor Day weekend, but after that is it still advisable to make reservations, or can I wing it, with reasonable expectations of finding nice accommodations - B&B/Country Inns during the first week of September?

I'd like to see Lake Winnepasaukee, Portsmouth, Franconia, coastal Maine before heading home to NYC,.

Any comments on this itinerary or suggestions on scenic routes, or places to stay? TIA
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM

You have a brief window of opportunity because you are not going to be there in the fall color rush. NE is pretty dead between Labor Day and, say, the third weekend in September. I would wing it, though there is the chance of running into some local festival or college football, but there are lots of places, and you will find somewhere decent.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM

I agree except on the weekend in southern coastal Maine. I think people hold off after Labor until foliage starts for Lake W and Franconia but weekends in southern Maine are always popular. Friends and I usually travel the third weekend in Sept and don't have too much trouble finding a place to stay.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Yes, weekends are different.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.