Steamboat Springs ??? Please!

Jan 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Steamboat Springs ??? Please!

Hi I want to plan a ski vacation to Steamboat Springs in March. Here are my questions:
1.We want ski in/ski out without breaking the bank, so where should we stay?
2. Should we rent a car?
3. Will 10 days be too many?
4 Is it better to fly into HDN or the other airport that's 2 hours away or into Denver? We are coming from the east coast.

Thank you so much for any information that you might/could provide.
tbelgian
Jan 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Hi, I will take a shot at answering your questions.

1. I loved it! We have been to Aspen, Veil, etc. But Steamboat is my favorite. In fact, we stayed at the Fairfield Inn. Nice, clean, fire place, comfortable... I think they have a nice Sheraton too close to the slopes. It is a nice, down-to-earth town with a good mix of people. We are not too into a social scene with expensive fur coats and martini hours, so it fit us just fine. I found that Aspen is just way too pretentious…unless you are willing to drop a few grand a night at the hotel/restaurant.

2. Yes. If you are in town, you can take a bus that goes around from one hotel to another, and to the slopes. But we had a car and loved it as we could go anywhere we wanted....

3. 10 days? It depends. What do you want to do? There's a ton of things you can do in addition to skiing. We stayed there for 3 days and it was not enough....

4. We flew from Atlanta to Denver and drove. Nice drive but be careful. The road gets snowed in once in a while. My husband almost got stuck there a few years ago...

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM

1. We always stay at Trappeur's Crossing, which is NOT ski in/ski out, so I can't help you with that type of lodging. For what it's worth, however, many of the condo buildings are quite close to the base, but still have very convenient shuttle buses that run from the condo to the ski resort base. Trappeur's Crossing is about 2 long blocks from the base, but you know how far that would seem in ski boots - their shuttle runs continuously at the beginning and end of the ski day. It's also available for trips into town.

2. You could probably get by without one (see answer above re shuttles), but it might be more convenient to have one. For anything that you do other than skiing, such as sleigh rides or a trip to Strawberry Park hot springs, there are van services that can take you. You must take a service to the hot springs; you can't just drive (as I recall) in the winter.

3. I love Steamboat Springs, and the 4 days we spend there once a year is never enough, but 10 days might be a bit much for me. It depends on what kind of skiier you are (will you ski the entire mountain, for example, or just the blue or green runs?), and whether you want to do a lot of other activities in addition to skiing.

4. I would fly into wherever gets you the best airfares. But other than that, I'm kind of a wimp about small airports and have no problem driving in snow and mountains, so I'd probably choose to fly into Denver. From Denver, it's about 3 hours, a pretty drive, with two low passes that can nevertheless get snowcovered but are rarely impassable.

Have a great time - Steamboat Springs is a favorite ski destination of our entire family.
Jan 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. Have you heard anything about the Koala Condos?
tbelgian
Jan 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM

1. We think Scandinavian lodge is a great bargain. Our room was quite nice, and there's an outdoor hot tub, which is a must for us.

You can ski down to the gondola from there, although you can't ski back. There is, however, a private shuttle that takes to/from Thunderhead lift, and has an evening route--but is also on call in the evening, if the schedule doesn't fit your needs.

2. We usually do Steamboat without a car, but are only there for a week, and only to ski.

We ski there for six days, and that's about the right amount to us--but we're fivkle and like to ski lots of different runs.

3. We like to fly into Hayden, which we can do non-stop from Chicago.
Jan 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM

My employer owns a condo at Trappeur's Crossing, for use by employees, so I've never had to search for lodging in Steamboat. But I did a web search for Koala Condos, and found a site that shows clearly the location of Koala in relation to the skiing - see http://www.koalacondos.com/Location.htm. You do have to walk across the street, but after that, you can ski down to the gondola (and take your skis off to board the gondola), and you can ski in at the end of the day.
Jan 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM

HI! We love Steamboat and, like e17345, find it very casual and unpretentious.

1. We stayed a very short walk across the street, but not ski in/ski out. Too expensive, at least for the quality accommodation we wanted.

2. We did not rent a car and did not feel we needed one. We could walk to skiing and immediate village and the bus system is fantastic. We easily took it into town several times plus many of the resorts have a van/taxi type thing on call for pick ups and stuff.

3. We stayed a full week and were not bored. Plenty of good skiing, restaurants, shopping and other activities. We would have tried even more had we had more time. I guess it depends on your personality type, but we never got bored.

4. I prefer HDN. Major planes fly into there and after coming from the East Coast, the last thing I want is a long drive.

Hope that helps. Have fun!