Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Steamboat Springs - July/August - Ideas welcome!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, my sister and I have settled on Colorado as a place to meet and celebrate what would have been our father's 100th birthday this summer. We are both in our mid 60s, very active, enjoy hiking, cultural sites, and are amateur foodies. Not shoppers. We rarely get to spend much time together without extended family - she lives in WA and I live in CA. This will be a special time for us.

At first we had looked at Breckenridge as our destination, but I know from past experiences in South America, I can have issues with altitude, so now we are thinking of Steamboat. We will have five days for this trip.

We will probably fly into Denver and rent a car to drive to Steamboat - thinking in summer, it should be a pretty drive, about three hours, during which we will enjoy the scenery and each others' company. Does that seem like a reasonable plan? I know we could fly into Hayden, but waiting for the connection, then getting a car at Steamboat, etc. --- seems as if driving would not take much longer, and could be more enjoyable.

Any suggestions, ideas for things we might enjoy, places/areas to stay (we are thinking of renting a condo) restaurants, activities, etc would be greatly appreciated. Neither of us has been to Colorado, and we are looking forward to it!

(Ideas for possible other destinations outside Denver are also welcome - we really don't know anything about Colorado, so this will be an adventure)
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 10:09 AM

Avoiding altitude in Colorado difficult. Steamboat is a solid four hours from Denver. At 6700 feet it is better than Breckenridge at 9600. You might consider some place like Glenwood Springs at 5700. It is best to sleep at the lowest level possible. If prone to altitude sickness then 6700 could still be too high.

Steamboat is little isolate by itself in that area. Glenwood Springs is less than four hours from the DIA and might be able to fly into Eagle/Vail airport. From Glenwood you could day trip to Aspen, Vail, and even do a float trip in the area.

You didn't indicate how long you plan to stay.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 10:30 AM

We like Glenwood Springs better than Steamboat--just more to do and Aspen is right there, too.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Planning on five days, including travel days.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - it's actually from a Thursday to a Thursday - so eight days including travel days ...
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 01:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Steamboat activities. Years ago we went there twice for summer vacations. Highlights included hiking, horseback riding and white water rafting.
We also rented condos on the mountain.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 01:50 PM

Have only been to Steamboat in the wintertime so no ideas on summertime activities. It IS a nice laid-back town with a "western" feel--it doesn't strike me as snooty at all.

That said, on our last trip about 18 months ago, DD got altitude sickness--she was 27 at the time and had been fine on a trip there several years before--not fun!
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 03:11 PM

That is the problem with altitude sickness - you can fine four times and sick as dog on the fifth. Or sick the first time and fine after that. The cause is very poorly understood as the treatment other than get low. Being well hydrated is a good start at prevention, min the wine and beer, and being active. There are some Rx that can help. If you have had severe problems in the past, than a Dr. visit might be in order.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 03:16 PM

PS. With seven nights, you could spend three nights in Denver and four in the mountains. That would give you a little adjustment. You adjust about a 1000 ft per day.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Steamboat may not be the best if you are worried about altitudes. I know lots of friends who have been affected by it and my own brother did on our trip. It is a lovely town, but if you want to venture out I highly recommend Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park. It is be!autiful, there is good hiking, and the views are to die for. About a 3 hour venture but worth th trip if you're up for it
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

That's a great idea, fmp. We were already going to take a couple days for Denver - will just make sure it's at the start of the trip.

I was short of breath in Cuzco, Peru, at about 11,000 feet a few years back, but nothing I couldn't handle. Then we went to Lake Titicaca (12,500 ft), and it was awful. Altitude sickness is terrible. I was taking preventive medication, but apparently it didn't work.