Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   STEAMBOAT?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/steamboat-381995/)

JEF Dec 12th, 2003 08:23 AM

STEAMBOAT??

If I go to Steamboat is it better to fly into Hayden instead of taking the 3hr. drive from Denver? Any other info you can give me would be appreciated.

cmeyer54 Dec 12th, 2003 09:04 AM

obviously Hayden is a lot closer but you have to consider the higher cost. Take into account how many drivers you'll have, time constraints, weather, etc and then decide. We've always flown into Denver - more choices on times and lots cheaper but it means less time on the slopes

abram Dec 12th, 2003 12:22 PM

We've always flown non-stop into Hayden because the drive from Denver to Hayden is very unappealing to us.

What's "best" is individual and depends on your own priorities, for example, time vs expense.

JEF Dec 15th, 2003 05:40 AM

What I'm really wanted to ask is....does Hayden get snowed in alot so that its not really a good option.

Coskier Dec 15th, 2003 01:06 PM

Better to fly into Hayden than make the drive from Denver. I cannot think of one time that I did not see an accident on that highway. Plus cell coverage is very spotty so if you need help, help can be a long time coming.

guntersville Dec 15th, 2003 01:38 PM

We go to Steamboat every year for my husband to hunt in October. We have done it both ways but is really much better to pay the extra money and fly into Hayden. I am pretty sure it is more than a 3 hour drive. You will love Steamboat!!! Reba McEntire has a home on the left on your way to Clark.

JEF Dec 16th, 2003 04:31 AM

Thanks for your help......Any recommondations for places to eat?

internetwiz Dec 16th, 2003 08:25 AM

Ruggios and the sushi place (can't remember the name, right downtown).

If you're going to Steamboat in the winter, definitely fly into Hayden. If you're going in the summer, there are a lot of beautiful routes between Denver and Steamboat. Depending on where you're staying and the in-town transportation they provide, you might not even need to rent a car if you fly into Hayden.

ninap7 Feb 3rd, 2004 02:34 PM

I went last year with my family and on the return flight we got snowed in and they cancelled all the flights. Believe me this was HORRIBLE - They literally tell you to get out of the airport. We ha 32 pieces of luggage between 3 families and 10 children. Alpine Taxi rapes you because there the only ticket out of there. It cost $263.00 round trip each family to bring us to a hotel and then bring us back the next morning to catch our flight. I loved steamboat so much we are going this year but flying into Denver. I'm not to thrilled about it, but we got $237.00 round trip airfare so we'll drive the 3 hours to steamboat. Antares restaurant is great if you can get a table in the fireplace room and Cottonwood Grill is also nice. This year we are trying Cafe Diva and Harwigs.

paige Feb 5th, 2004 05:36 AM

You may run the risk of the Hayden airport being snowed in, but there is also the risk of highway closings and very very long delays if you are driving to Denver to catch your flight home. The only time we skied Steamboat we flew to Denver and rented a car. The road is much more difficult than driving to Vail, Breckenridge, etc. On our way home there was snow and very heavy traffic (it was probably Sunday afternoon). We missed our flight in Denver and had to spend the night at a Denver hotel and catch a flight the next a.m.

JEF Feb 24th, 2004 07:23 AM

Going in a couple of weeks anyone know what the conditions are like? Any recommendations for dinner? thanks again.

abram Feb 24th, 2004 12:18 PM

If you search this site for Steamboat, you should find some restaurant recommendations.

I think the Steamnboat website will give you a snow report.