Staying in Mashpee--Towns to visit-we have three or four days

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mother-in-Law and I are driving and staying in Mashpee. I am not familiar with the area as is evident from my earlier post... I know that one day we would like to wander around Provincetown--aside from that could you suggest an itinerary. As for our tastes--I prefer just wandering interesting towns and beach going. My Mother-in-Law likes to shop, which I can take or leave, although I do like art galleries. She does not really like sitting on the beach as much as I do--so we'll have to compromise a bit here. We will have a car. I enjoy good, not necessarily expensive food, including fresh seafood. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM

If you go up to Ptown make a stop in Wellfleet as there are many nice art galleries to visit. There are lots of very good galleries in Ptown as well. Wellfleet is much quieter though and would be a change of pace.

Also check out Chatham which has some great shops and restaurants.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM

Mashpee Commons is at the Mashpee rotary. It is designed with a village feel. Lots of the usual shops plus some interesting local ones. Also restaurants. I highly recommend Bleu www.bleurestaurant.com . The chef/owner is French and the food is fabulous and not very expensive. Also has a great bar area.

The Popponesset Inn is in New Seabury in Mashpee and has a waterfront restaurant. I've not been there recently but the views are great. There is a place there in New Seabury that also serves great lobster rolls.

Wellfleet is very nice. It's the quintesenntial Cape Cod village. As Royal said, lots of galleries, some shops and lots of restaurants. Mac's Shack (seafood) is good but pricey. Wicked Oyster is good www.capecodchefs.com

I would probably make a day and go to Wellfleet on the way to P-town. If you like to cook stop at the Atlantic Spice Company www.atlanticspice.com in Truro right off Route 6. They have herbs and spices in bulk (you can buy as much or little as you want) at great prices and nice kitchen items that would make great gifts for someone. Also if you like wine Truro Vineyards is nearby www.trurovineyardsofcapecod.com .

Osterville is about 10 miles from Mashpee and has a nice village center with interesting shops and galleries.

Off to garden. Let us know if you have more questions.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! This is what I am thinking so far...
Tuesday, July 14: Provincetown-Pilgrim Monument/Provincetown Museum, Race Point Beach for an hour or so, lunch at The Lobster Pot, Shopping and galleries along Commercial Street, early dinner at Front Street, drive back to Mashpee.

Wednesday: Hyannis Whale Watching Tour, lunch at Dolphin Retaurant, on to Chatham for the afternoon, return to Mashpee.

Thursday: Tour Dennis, Orleans and Wellfleet--not sure what to do here yet.

Friday: My Mother i Law thinks we should head to Plymouth and see the Mayflower--I am not sure about this--looks like it might be touristy or hokey??? I might be wrong--just not sure???
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM

If you are in Orleans around lunchtime try the Land Ho - casual but great food. I love their lobster club sandwich.

As said Wellfleet has nice galleries and shops. Don't miss Jules Besch just off Main St. He has a wonderful shop with gorgeous stationery and paper products. The Bookstore restaurant overlooks the bay and has good seafood. There was a lovely restaurant on Main St. called Aesop's Tables but it has changed hands and I can't remember the name. They have a nice outdoor area with patio tables on the front lawn just set back enough from the street to be relaxing.

Never stopped in Dennis so can't help there.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM

I would do the whale watch trip out of P-town on the Dolphin fleet www.whalewatch.com . It's a shorter run to where the whales are and they do a great job. The whales are here right now and if you are lucky you can see them from the beach!

The Dolphin restaurant in Barnstable Village is wonderful.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM

RE Plymouth: if you like living history museums, visiting Plimouth plantation and the the Mayflower II is a good day trip. There are "costumed role players" to tell you about the voyage from Europe and life in the colony.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all--should I plan on a second day to do the P Town dolphin fleet or can we somehow manage it all in one busy day??
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Your help is invaluable. Are we as likely that time of year (mid July) to see whales??? This trip is going to have to be a good even compromise on what to do/not do as our interests can be different. I can take only so much shopping!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM

It depends on the whales Last year they were feeding for a long time.

Where are you staying in Mashpee?? A time share? You are about and hour and a half from P-town. I would not do that twice!! I would get up early and head off to the Outer Cape. Have breakfast in Wellfleet, walk around and off to P-town (have reservations for the whale watch arranged). P-town stays up late. So you can make the reservation for Front Street (very good but in a celler). Other places have the view of the bay.
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Yes. My Mother in Law has a timeshare. We are staying at The Sea Mist resort. If we had had more of a choice, I would have preferred staying much closer to PTown--That's where I am having the difficulty planning as most of the towns, activities that interest me are out that direction. If we hit Wellfleet early, will there be much be open--say 9:00 a.m.? How is the road coming back after dinner? I was hoping to be back before it was dark???? I would love to avoid that drive two different days--just not sure we can fit in the Whale watching with shopping, etc. Thanks again for all of your planning help!
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Okay--starting to get this pulled together. I don't see a way around driving a good bit each day, since we are staying inland--but that's o.k. We can get up early and be on the road. The towns you have mention look great--I will plan on visiting Atlantic Spice Company in Truro, as well as the Truro Vineyard. In Orleans and Wellfleet what are the main highlights and where are the main shopping areas? Gomiki, you mentioned that there are restaurants with better (bay) views that Front Street in PTown. I would be interested in any recommendations. I just know I won't be able to get enough views of the water. Outdoor dining is even better (we don't get much of that in Pittsburgh)!
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM

In Wellfleet the main shopping areas are Main Street and Commercial Street. I don't think the shops will open until 10AM.

In P-town the classic waterfront restaurant is the Lobster Pot. It's pretty touristy but the view is great. Ross Grill is quite good with views but it's noisy. The Red Inn and the Mews are excellent but expensive.

Orleans has a nice shop called Oceana and other shops and galleries in the Main Street area. As mentioned, the Land Ho is a fun place for lunch or dinner. Everyone from fishermen to playwrights goes there. The beach is Nauset Beach and is on the Atlantic.