Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Staying in Las Vegas, Grand Canyon: how much does hotel matter ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 07:23 AM
avk

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Vegas and the Grand Canyon with my parents (who are in their 60s). We are planning to stay in Vegas for 7 or 8 days, with a trip to Grand Canyon in the middle. I have a few questions:

Las Vegas
---------
1) Does where you stay matter a lot ? I have checked hotel prices, and there are big prices differences between, say Bellagio, Mirage, Venetian on one hand, and Harrahs, Rio, Las Vegas Hilton. I know Bellagio is one of the best hotels in the world, But is there a significant difference in comfort and service between say Caesar's Palace and Circus Circus ?

2)I am trying to decide between Sigfried and Roy, and Lance Burton ? Is S&R worth the $$ ?

3)Can a reasonably complete tour of Red Rock Canyon/Lake Mead be made in half a day ? Would it make sense to do this en route from Vegas to Grand Canyon ?

Grand Canyon
------------
1)I doubt if I will be able to get reservations on one of the logdes inside the park ? Will staying outside (2 nights) affect the total experience ?

Thanks everyone. BTW, I have seen lot of posts pointing to www.lvol.com. IMHO, this discussion board is a lot better.

AVK

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 08:46 AM
guy

Hoape you have a great trip..IMO for what it is worth..
LAS question:
1) Significant difference between Caesar's and Circus ....Yes !!!
2)SR probably worth the $$ one time..but either of the Cirque du Soleil performances..'O'@ Bellagio or Mystere @ Treasure Island would be money better spend.
3)No....and Yes

Grand Canyon

1) No

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Jill

I go to Vegas 2-3 times a year. I don't spend much time in the room so all I want is a clean decent place to stay. Spending the extra money to stay at the Bellagio or Venetian would be a waste to me. I think it's best to stay "mid-strip": Flamingo, Ballys, Paris, Caesar's, Barbary Coast, Harrahs. A good thing for you to check at the lvol.com website is the hotel comments on the main page (not the talk page). I stay at the Flamingo although once I stayed at the MGM (I was there for a meeting) and once at the Tropicana. The Rio and the LV Hilton aren't on the strip so I wouldn't stay there. If your driving, the Flamingo is easy to get to since you don't have to drive on or cross the "strip".

Red Rock Canyon is about 20-30 minutes from the strip. It's not in the direction of going to Lake Mead or the Grand Canyon. I think the loop road is only about 7 miles so unless you plan on hiking or rock climbing you won't spend that much time there. I think Lake Mead is in the direction of going to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:51 PM
sammie

Circus circus is very downscale and depressing and does not reflect the excitement of the new resorts on the strip. Stayed there 1 night 6 years ago, never again.
I would suggest staying somewhere on the south or mid strip, the north strip is in decline. These resorts are not your typical hotels and it is worth the extra money to stay in a nice place.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 04:28 PM
JJ

If you're not 'fussy' about hotels, stay at a midrange place on the strip.
Above comments are correct. Circus Circus is now a dive and that part of the strip is dying on the vine. The difference between Bellagio and CC is, really, like the difference between an old Chevy pickup and a new BMW.
Try Paris or Aladdin or Monte Carlo or Luxor. All midrange with decent locations.
Cirque du Soleil's 2 shows are Vegas' top shows hands down. S&R is OK.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Ken

Paris is excellent - stayed there last may and just across St. from Bellagio so you can go hang there if you like.

Grand Canyon is awesome stayed park, Makes life a bit easier.

Don't bother seeing Hoover dam AFTER Grand Canyon - looks insignificant!! Maybe before would be OK.

Have fun