Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Staying at La Valencia in San Diego CA with 3 teens for 6 nights - any suggestions on what to do?

Search

Staying at La Valencia in San Diego CA with 3 teens for 6 nights - any suggestions on what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, this Wednesday, I am taking my 3 children to visit a friend with the topic being seeing some nice waves and watching some surfing.. maybe take a few lessons. Other than this diversion, what is there to do in the area (we'll have a rental car). I intend to do 1 college visit to the University of San Diego if we can fit it in.. but any suggestions as to places to go to see? The kids are 19, 18 and 17. We love wildlife as well as the beach.. we are looking forward to it. What's the temp there, by the way, at this time of year? Any comments on La Valencia and their rooms? I was there in 1987, quite a while ago! Thanks so much..
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Right now it's about 73F at my house. There's still some overcast at the beach. At this time of year, the beach can be gloomy most of the day, but the weather next week is supposed to be warmer so yu may be lucky.

Your kids may like the San Diego County Fair which is on now at the Fairgrounds in Del Mar. There are always rides which kids that age love, lots of delicious food that's really bad for you, and concerts at night.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yo5b36

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM
TahitiTams

Love Love Love La V!
Seal Beach and walking the coastline along LJ is great..Shell Shop down the stairs to the cave is fun..
Kayak/Boogie board or snorkel at the LJ Shores..they have tours to the caves.
Birch Aquarium is lovely up the hill above the Shores..
When you stay at La V, I like to have breakfast/lunch on the terrace overlooking the cove.
Head to George's at the Cove and have lunch/dinner on the terrace..
The San Diego Fair in Del Mar is great and all will enjoy.
Take surf lessons with Surf Diva at the LJ Shores for the girls and for the guys LJ Surf Shop in the Shores.
Jeff's Burgers is always a hit and the Cheese Shop for excellent sandwiches to take to the beach.
Breakfast at Harry's or the Cottage and great sushi at Zenbu.
For killer fish sandwiches, go to El Pescador on Pearl.
Love Alfonso's for Mex and the Crab Catcher for the Seafood Happy Hour.
Temps are in the 70's with the June Gloom hanging around till noon but burning off earlier for great beach weather.
Have Fun!

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I'm so excited to hear about the fair and walking the beach, seals, etc!
I will check out the website. My dtr is looking at colleges.. is San Diego University the only one really close by? I am so glad to hear that possibly next week (we're arriving Wednesday night) might be better, and also that it sort of burns off by afternoon! Thanks so much.. now.. onto the fair!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM

If you have a car (sorry I do not recall) you can see UCSD, USD, and SDSU
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM

San Diego State University is the biggest in town. The University of San Diego is a Roman Catholic private college. There is also Point Loma Nazarene University and California State University at San Marcos.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM

And of course, University of California at San Diego. Don't know how I forgot that one! It's in La Jolla so would be the closest for you to look at.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Don't forget about the San Diego zoo and Wild Animal Park. The zoo is located in the downtown area near Balboa Park (also one of my favorite spots). The Wild Animal park is a truly unique experience -- animals living in large, open spaces designed to mimic their natural habitats. The park is located in the north part of the county, so it's a bit of a drive but well worth it.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Two thumbs up for the prior restaurant suggestions: Zenbu, Harry's, The Cottage and El Pescado. I also like Pannikin for a real taste of the local crowd. And Piatti's in The La Jolla Shores. Reservations needed.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM

barbara - are you in bird rock?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Hola mis amigos: lived in University City while the head of Nuclear Medicine at Balbao Naval Hospital NRMC/SD; Clinical Ass't Prof and DX Rad Resident at UCSD.
Super professional folks - perhaps the very best - you are fortunate to have them all in your community.
M
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM

nanabee, no, I'm not.