Search

Stay/shop in Woodmere, NY?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay/shop in Woodmere, NY?

I'm thinking of going to a family 'do' in Woodmere, NY (Long Island) next month. I'm unlikely to have a car and will depend on family members for rides here and there but I'm also willing to take cabs.

Are there any decent hotels nearby? It doesn't have to be posh, but certainly nice, clean and safe with someplace nearby to grab some take-out or something.

Also, since I probably won't be getting into Manhattan, I wouldn't mind doing some mall or bargain store shopping. Is there anything local?

Thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Long Island, including Woodmere, is probably the largest middle class suburban area in the world. Travel without a car is extremely onerous - if not impossible.

Hotels are few, mostly for business travelers near buiness parks farther out on Long Island. Some of the hotels not to far away are not very pleasant (often used for nooners rathern than tourists).

There are a couple of places in Rockville Center (not rated or rated up to 2 stars - I can;t reco any of them).

The nearest pleasant hotel is the Garden City Hotel - which is not inexpensive - and is about 20/25 minutes away.

Roosevelt Field (I believe the second largest mall in the US) is about the same distance away.

Practically nothing is reachable without a car unless you plan to spend most of your day waiting for and/or sitting on local buses.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:16 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Hmmm...maybe I'll just send a card and a gift.
Thanks NYtraveler
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM

There are NO decent hotels nearby. The closest hotels would probably be at JFK but that's not a good idea. You won't be able to get transportation from there. Best option with no wheels is to stay in NYC and use the Long Island Railroad to Woodmere or Lawrence or whatever station is closest. Trip just under an hour. Honest. Without wheels you're dead. Cabs not a good option. Cabs from the train station, yes. Otherwise, no.

There's actually some good shopping nearby, but you HAVE to have a car. Roosevelt Field Mall. Some discount stores along Rockaway Blvd. and Penisula Blvd. in Lawrence. Good shops in Cedarhurst. Loehmann's in Hewlett.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
hdm
Original Poster

Nope, not even Loehmann's can lure me now!