Stay, park and fly from NYC

Nov 25th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Stay, park and fly from NYC

Hi....

Wife and I are taking early afternoon flight out of JFK next week and considering an overnight stay in the city to take in the X-mas atmosphere (i.e. Rockefeller Center).... I know the airport is a haul from that area, but do any hotels in that area offer stay, park and fly? If not, can anyone recommend a place to leave the vehicle while we're away for 11 days? We appreciate the help in advance. Happy Holidays.
Nov 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM

panamhotel.com is about halfway between JFK and Manhattan and offers park and fly. It's very basic but might work for you. I can't remember which hotels at JFK offer park & fly, but as I recall, they weren't very good ones. Another option would be to stay at one of the hotels in Long Island City near a subway stop like the Verve, the Country Inn or the Comfort Inn and find a garage in Long Island City to park. Not sure how their prices would compare to long term parking at JFK nor do I know whether Long Island City would be convenient for you on the return since I don't know where you live.
Nov 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you mclaurie... we're from RI and convenience to I-95 would be ideal as our return flight arrives at 10 pm or so. Will check out panam. We appreciate your help.
Nov 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM

In other cities, we've used www.parksleepfly.com to find airport hotels.
Nov 25th, 2011, 09:42 AM

The hotels AT the airport are, in general, not very pleasant and are at least an hour from the city - where the OP wants to sightsee. So your choice is to stay at one of those and do the long trek in and out of the city on pubic transit -or cab back and forth at $60 plus each way.

Of the hotels in LIC some have parking and some don;t. if they do it is limited and they may or may not be willing to give spots up t o someone who isn;t staying there. Also - please check - since I don;t know that these hotels have airport shuttles - which means you need to then cab or take complicated public transit form the hotel to JFK.

If it were me I would park at a lot at the airport - so the car is waiting for you when you come back - and you don;t have to trek to a distant hotel to get your car. Then you can stay in a hotel convenient to the sights you want to see.
Nov 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM

I agree with nytraveler that in an ideal world, parking at JFK and either staying at one of the decent JFK hotels like the Courtyard or the Hampton Inn if you have an early morning flight out OR staying in Long Island City or Manhattan to be closer to sightseeing would be best. But if budget is a big issue and the Pan Am saves you a lot, it's not a bad option. They happen to also have a shuttle to/from JFK.