Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Stay Overnight in CA just to break up the trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/stay-overnight-in-ca-just-to-break-up-the-trip-1269857/)

Edward671 Apr 6th, 2017 11:30 AM

Stay Overnight in CA just to break up the trip?

We hate the trip from the east coast. Has anyone stayed overnight in an airport hotel just to break up the trip? What was your experience? And is it true LAX would be the least desirable place to do this?

janisj Apr 6th, 2017 11:41 AM

This is the FOURTH time you have posted the same question.

To find all your activity click on the image in the upper right corner and then 'View Profile' . . .

Edward671 Apr 6th, 2017 12:07 PM

This is my first time posting here and have not found my post nor a reply. I just found the tags.

DebitNM Apr 6th, 2017 12:22 PM

Edward - just click on your name, it will take you to your posts

Edward671 Apr 6th, 2017 12:29 PM

thank you...

happytrailstoyou Apr 6th, 2017 01:42 PM

<i>This is the FOURTH time you have posted the same question.</i>

Nevertheless, if the point is to just break up the trip I don't know why LAX would be worse than San Francisco, San Diego, or Seattle. It's a big airport located in an area where I don't recall seeing many houses or apartments.

However, West Century Boulevard is lined with hotels of all kinds: Hyatt Regency, Courtyard, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza, Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, several Marriotts, Hilton, etc. Also in the area are lodgings such as Four Points, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Hilton Garden Inn.

If I were you and wanted to stay at LAX, I would find a hotel with a rate that pleases me and then, using Goggle maps, I would investigate if there is a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel where I would want to eat dinner.

When I fly to Southern California from Seattle, I always go to LAX because there are loads of flights between SEA and LAX and the air fare and auto rental rates are usually less there than at other nearby airports.

LAX is a sprawling place, and the old part isn't very pleasant. Sometimes it is a long, long walk from the gate to baggage claim.

The airport at San Jose is new and pleasant, but I doubt San Jose would be a good place for you to stop over night on your way to Hawaii.

HTtY

DebitNM Apr 6th, 2017 03:21 PM

We have actually flown SJC (Alaska I think it way) to KOA so that is a possibility. There are hotels there (and other airports) that will have free shuttles so that helps.

And again, Hawaii is may not be there destination.

janisj Apr 6th, 2017 03:29 PM

Hawaii is the destination . . . Per one of the several other threads

suze Apr 6th, 2017 04:01 PM

For Hawaii, I'd just hang in there and go all the way on the same day. I don't see any point in hanging around Los Angeles on your Hawaiian vacation!

aloha :-)