Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   stay in Sedona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/stay-in-sedona-708105/)

SMT May 25th, 2007 09:37 PM

stay in Sedona?

My husband and I will staying in Sedona 8/7 -8/10. I am concerned about where to stay because of the heat. I have reservations at a place in uptown b/c it is within walking distance of shops, restaurants, etc. but now I'm wondering if we will really enjoy walking around in the heat or will decide to drive. Any opinions about the heat in August and walking vs driving? I'm also wondering if we wouldn't be more comfortable staying somewhere out from Sedona with trees.

hulajake May 26th, 2007 05:22 AM

I can't say anything about the heat in August but an alternative maybe Junipine Resort. It's about 8-9 miles north of Sedona alongside Oak Creek in the canyon going to Flagstaff. Not so much of a resort as there is no pool but you can get a creekside townhouse with a hottub on the deck.

emd May 26th, 2007 06:05 AM

Junipine units have NO AIR CONDITIONING. I love Juipine but would never stay there in August. I stayed there in late June and we could not stay inside the unit at mid-day, it got HOT. Nice at night but very hot during the day from 11-4.

emd May 26th, 2007 06:09 AM

Personally I would never stay in uptown, it is too congested w/tour buses during the day. I'd stay away a bit away from uptown (either in West Sedona at the nice Days Inn or Hampton Inn, or on way to Village of Oak Creek, like at the Hilton that has an indoor pool, and those places are air conditoned) and drive in to Sedona.

hulajake May 26th, 2007 06:41 AM

Thanks emd the time of year we were there we didn't need a/c and never notied if it even had it.

tmt May 26th, 2007 06:45 AM

"I'm also wondering if we wouldn't be more comfortable staying somewhere out from Sedona with trees"

I don't recall alot of trees anywhere - Its the dry red rocks that is what is so great about that area.

Will you be venturing outside of the downtown area? I hope so. Would you be walking downtown in the evening when the temperature will be cooler? I went in April, so at night it was actually cold with very warm days. We had the fireplace on at night, didn't need A/C. Check out the average temps for day and night.

T.

SMM May 26th, 2007 06:54 PM

We stayed at the Doubletree close to Bell Mountain. It was air conditioned and well maintained. The service was great and the staff was friendly. We loved it.

emd May 27th, 2007 03:53 AM

THere are Pinon trees close to the creek and in many other canyon areas (like in Boynton Canyon) and also LOTS of trees up in Oak Creek canyon. But it still gets hot even up in the canyon.

It will be HOT In August. USNR, a poster who lives in Sedona, posted in last few days that it is 90, and 90 is HOT in Sedona. The sun really blazes. Stay somewhere w/a pool if possible. You'll use it.

jtrandolph May 27th, 2007 10:31 AM

Sky Ranch Lodge is up above Sedona on the road to the small airport. It has rooms with great views across the canyon, beautiful landscaped grounds and a lovely pool. Some of the units have small kitchenettes and some have corner fireplaces. We enjoyed being up away from the touristy hustle and bustle, yet a short drive down the hill to town.

cash53 May 30th, 2007 04:47 PM

Check out the enchantmant resort.We were there in Nov. and it was wonderful.Outdoor pools and great food.The spa is not to be missed

elnap29 May 30th, 2007 06:16 PM

We have been to Sedona in August and, yes, it is hot. But you can plan around that. A shady, lovely place to stay within walking distance of shops, galleries and town is The Inn on Oak Creek. Our room was on the back side, over looking the creek. There is a grassy area below next to the creek under large trees with picnic tables and hammock.
We also enjoyed Sky Ranch Lodge. Nice pool and great views and shade available.
Enchantment Resort is lovely but priciest.
Garland's is also a nice place, includes meals and has lots of shade.
If you walk the trail of the West Fork of Oak Creek you will have shade most of the way and it is a very pleasant walk.

SMT Jun 3rd, 2007 08:32 PM

Thanks everyone so much for your responses. I've been out-of-town and just checked for responses and was overwhelmed by the number and details. I should be able to make an informed decision, now. Can't wait to visit Sedona, heat and all. Will definitely choose a place with AC. Not sure if i will keep the reservation in uptown area after reading comments - love the idea of being within walking distance, but am looking forward to this last leg of our 2 week trip as a relaxing time. Many thanks!