Stay in Minneapolis, Detroit, Lansing

Mar 6th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Matt

Stay in Minneapolis, Detroit, Lansing

Hi.
I have to go on a business trip to Minneapolis (6 days) and to Lansing, Michigan (3 days). On my way to Lansing I will go through Detroit.
I have a free weekend, including a friday afternoon, which I want to spend by doing some sightseeing. In terms of what's worth seeing/doing, is it better to stay in Minneapolis the whole weekend or to spend the sunday in Detroit and/or Lansing?
Also, I'll be in Minneapolis the whole week.
Can you recommend restaurants and live music places (jazz) ?
Thanks a lot.

Mar 6th, 2000, 06:51 PM
Bob

Minneapolis versus Detroit? Yow. Now that one I have a strong opinion on. MPLS, particularly for a midwestern town, has a very diverse array of cultural, gastronomic and shopping options. Locals like to refer to MPLS as "the little apple", scaled down version of the one and only Big Apple. That might be carrying things a bit too far. But...MPLS is a great town (weather permitting...you didn't say when you'd be there). During summer, it's one of the best places in the US to spend a weekend. Beautiful lakes, easy to get around, not expensive.
Detroit...hmmm. Trying to think of something positive to say. Scale of 1-10 I'd give MPLS a solid 7.5. Detroit, 2.5. Have only driven thru Lansing. College town, of course, with attendant social and cultural options. No offense to Spartans, but I much prefer Ann Arbor if you'd like to spend a day or two in a college town.

Mar 6th, 2000, 08:41 PM
Cali

We have spent time in Mpls., Detroit and Lansing and I strongly recommend Mpls. over both of them. Mpls. is a wonderful city with lots of things to see and do. On a recent trip to Mpls. we went to "How to Talk Minnesotan" at the Plymouth Theater and it was great. Also so neat out around the lakes (both in the city and Minnetonka) and it is neat down by the St. Croix and Mississippi (Stillwater Area). All in all it is a great city - no I don't live in any of these cities but travel to all for business and much prefer Mpls. My husband does too and he is a Michigan State Grad and has wonderful memories of college in Lansing.

Mar 7th, 2000, 07:09 AM
lisa

I'm originally from Lansing so I know the city well, and later I worked in Detroit so I know that city pretty well too. Minneapolis beats both of them hands down. If you have any time to spend in Michigan between Detroit and Lansing, choose Ann Arbor -- a great little college town with good restaurants and some decent places to hear live music. But still, Minneapolis has tons more to see and do so I would max out your time there.

Mar 7th, 2000, 07:15 AM
lisa

Forgot to mention -- there is a very good restaurant in East Lansing (home of Michigan State University's campus) called Beggar's Banquet.

Also just a few miles outside of Lansing is a place called the English Inn which is a former home of one of the auto barons which has been restored and decorated with antiques. It has a restaurant with very good food and is a nice setting with lovely grounds. I've never stayed there but understand that some of the rooms are very nice. The website is www.englishinn.com

Mar 7th, 2000, 09:49 PM
Matt

Bob, Cali, and Lisa: many thanks for the advice. I was also wondering, since I have two days to reach Lansing from Minneapolis, if it makes sense to go by car. It's a 630 Mls drive and I could stop one night in Chicago. How is the drive? Is it worth it ? (I'm going at the end of March).

Mar 8th, 2000, 08:44 AM
lisa

Minneapolis to Lansing is a long drive and in my opinion, not particularly scenic. I would definitely fly. Although obviously it would be nice to have a night in Chicago, which is a fabulous town. You may have to change planes in Chicago to go from Mpls to Lansing anyway so it may be worth looking into whether you can do a stopover there. Also, I don't know if you have any interest in this but there are regular Amtrak trains from Chicago to Lansing, but I don't know about the Chicago-Minneapolis leg, sorry.

Mar 8th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Sarah

If you are in Detroit long enough, there's a Van Gogh exhibition at the Detroit Institute of Arts if you're interested. I am in Chicago but will be hitting the exhibit in April.

Mar 8th, 2000, 09:09 PM
Cali

Hi Matt, We have driven from Mpls. to Michigan and stopped in Chicago for one night and then on to Lansing and have enjoyed it but it is a long drive. If you do drive, stop at the Norsk Nook in Osseo, Wisc. (right off Hwy 94) and have a sandwich and pie - we don't miss stopping there whenever we drive. In fact, I have even thought of driving over there from Mpls. just for the day sometimes. YUM!! We fly sometimes and drive sometimes and enjoy it either way - if you want to stop in Chicago I would recommend driving. Have a great trip. We live in Ca. but truly love the Midwest. Hope you do too.

Jun 14th, 2000, 08:40 PM
Tracy

Hi Matt,
I live in Minneapolis. When your in town, pick up the Twin Cities Reader or City Pages (free at many locations around town) to find out where you can listen to jazz. Downtown try the Fine Line or the Loring (known for its artsy atmosphere). Famous Dave's BBQ (Uptown) is a good place to eat with blues, jazz, swing music. Also in Uptown is Lucia's, a nice indoor outdoor restaurant where the menu changes regularly based on the finest food found by the chef. Cafe Latte, located at the historical and classy Victoria and Grande intersection in St. Paul has great atmosphere, food and live music (not a full band). A lesser known restaurant that has good Peruvian food is Machu Picchu on Lake and Lyndale - they feature live Latin American music on weekends.
These are areas I would suggest going to for dining. I personally hate the Mall of America, but it seems that most people don't share my adversion.

Jul 9th, 2000, 05:09 PM
Steven

Living in suburban Detroit for many years, I would strongly suggest staying in Dearborn, a large suburb just west of the actual City of Detroit. The city is extremly safe, priding itself with city services and public safety. Dearborn is the home to Henry Ford, and has many local attractions including the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village, Spirit of Detroit, and Henry Ford Estate. Depending on your price range, you could try the upscale Hyatt Regancy or Ritz Carlton, around the Fairline Town Center area (mall w. over 200 stores), or if you're more budgeted for the trip, try the Hampton Inn on Michigan Ave.

About 30 miles west of Detroit is Ann Arbor, the wonderful home of the University of Michigan. Ann Arbor in itself is a wonderful town with a lot to do. There are many attraction in A2 including the campus of U of M, and many local museums. If you choose Lansing, try the Conference Hotel at the Breslin Center of Michigan State University. It's actually on the campus, but is really nice, but not too expensive. Good Luck with planning your trip. Email me if you need any other suggestions on the area.

Jul 9th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Matt

Trip was 4 months ago.
But thanks for the input.

Jan 27th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Irene

Does anyone from Lansing 12 know St.Holmes St.I used to correspond with a female (pen-pal) way way back. The name was Foust.I live in the North of England. Unfortunately we lost contact.

Search this Thread