Reload this Page >

Stay in Los Angelos or Anaheim or Both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 08:07 PM
Maebun

My daughter and I am planning to come to LA in May. We want to do all the touristy things (Disney, Universal, Hollywood tour, shopping, shopping, shopping).
Would we better off to stay in Anaheim or LA. Or split our time in both cities?
Or should we stay by the ocean and just drive where we need to go?

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 12:19 AM
van

Hi Maeburn,

If you want to do all the touristy things as well as shopping you would be best to split your time between both areas.
When you're in Anaheim you can walk to Disneyland and also go on some shopping tours. The best one is Ontario Mills...about 40 minutes in the shuttle from Disneyland..(enormous outlet mall....it will take you all day). The other good one is South Coast Plaza...this is a huge mall full of department stores and boutiques etc.

Once you have done all those things in Anaheim you could then take a shuttle (or drive) to LA to be near Rodeo Drive, Universal, the beach etc.

If you try to do everything from one area you will spend most of your time travelling and not enjoying yourself.

Have fun!

Vanessa.

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 09:39 AM
Sara

I agree with Vanessa. Split your time - we did that last Summer, spent 3 days in L.A. and 2 in Anaheim. It worked out very well for us. We stayed at a hotel right across the street from Disneyland, a 5 minute walk from the front gate, which was very convenient. Anaheim is a pretty good haul from L.A., and there's lots of traffic to deal with. We stayed downtown in L.A. because my husband was attending a conference there, but I think if we went back I'd prefer to stay on the West Side, possibly Santa Monica. By the way, since you know you're going to Universal (and I definately recommend the back lot tour), you can go to their website and buy tickets on line (at a discount, too, I think). This will save you from standing in a long line just to get in. But you have to do it far enough in advance for them to have time to mail you the tickets before you travel. I didn't have time for that once I found out about that option, and we ended up spending almost 45 minutes in line to buy admission tickets, much to my dismay and frustration, because they were having a computer problem at the kiosk we were in line for. At least they gave me a discount on our tickets when I complained about the wait. There's lots to do in L.A. - have fun!
Sara

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 10:28 AM
Michele

Maebun,
I live in Orange County, and I agree with both Vanessa and Sara - spend time in both areas. To try to position yourself in one area means you will have to fight traffic to get to everything. I would take Sara's recommendation - stay in Santa Monica or West LA. You are close to just about everything that is "touristy", and it's a great place to walk around at night.

Most of the hotels/motels around Disneyland are an easy walk to the park. Plus, Disney has many options for people doing other things in the area like shuttles. If you can avoid driving in Anaheim (or keep it to a minimum), it would be for the best. There has been ongoing road construction on all sides of Disneyland and traffic in the immediate area, at almost ALL times, is terrible. If you can locate a hotel where you can walk to the park and then shuttle to most other places, you will save yourself a lot of headaches.

I would also recommending checking for any on-line web pages to attractions in So. Ca. Many do offer advance ticket sales. If you're into it, you may want to check out theater performances on-line and get tickets to those events as well. What is worse than LA traffic? LA lines!

Hope you have a GREAT trip!

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 07:04 PM
Arlene

I would like to thank everyone for their great replies. I've found them very helpful.
What areas would be best to stay in, both for convenience and safety? In Anaheim ,La, San Diego. Do we HAVE to rent a car?

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Vanessa

Hi again,

In LA the best areas to stay would be West LA, Beverly Hills. The Ramada on Santa Monica Blvd is quite central. I would recommend the HOliday Inn on South Beverly Drive. I stayed there with my mother and we always felt very safe. It is a nice, moderate hotel. We didn't even hire a car because we were only there for 4 nights and just used cabs and shuttle buses. If you do hire a car though you will find you are quite close to Santa Monica, Venice Beach etc.

In Anaheim you are best to stay on the main street (I think its Harbor Blvd. This is right on the main entrance to Disneyland. You will definitely not need a car here as you can walk to Disneyland and catch shuttles for shopping trips. A good hotel is the Ramada Maingate.

I hope this helps,

Vanessa.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Toby

Interesting!

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 01:43 PM
xxx

Skip the Ontario Mills...a long drive for a bunch of outlet stores in a big enclosed mall. Instead spend the time shopping along the Santa Monica Promenade, Old Town in Pasadena or Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. All of these are much more fun touristy areas. I'd also highly recommend an afternoon shopping at the Fashion Island mall in Newport Beach. It's a beautiful outdoor shopping mall with department stores and lots of other stores.

How old is your daughter? That might help to determine where you should stay or the things to do.