Stay in Kaui or Head to Big Island?

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Stay in Kaui or Head to Big Island?

My husband and i are going to a 4-day conference on Kaui in July and staying at the Princeville. I'll have time off during the conference to hang w/ the hubby and take in the sites. However, we want to stay on for a few days afterwards since i've never been to Hawaii. My husband wants to take me to the big island to tour around for a few days via car. He thinks we'd be bored out of our minds if we stayed on Kaui (we are not interested in lying on the beach and, oh yeah, i am TERRIFIED of sharks so i will not be entering the water under any circumstances). Having read some of the messages posted here, though, i think we could have plenty to do if we stayed on at Kaui for 3 days (hiking, kayaking, bike-riding).

So here's my question: for an enjoyable vacation that keeps us occupied, do we stay on at Kaui or do we go to the big island? My main concern about heading to another island is that we'll just be driving around the whole time and not get to enjoy any sort of physical excursion. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I have not been to Kauai, but I think you should stay put for only three more days. He will be working for part of the four days so you will spend most of your time in or near your resort. The extra three days will give you time to explore the rest of the island.
I just returned from the Big Island and it is Big. You will spend one day getting there. You will then have one day to drive around and then you will travel again on the third day back home. It may be only an hour flight, but you might have to stop and change planes both ways in honolulu. You also have to get to the airport the hour and a half before the flight.
I thought Big Island was very cool. It is an island that is made up of lava rocks. It will be a very different landscape from Kauai. If you wish to go to another island, I would plan maybe another 4-5 days to tack on to your trip. This way you arent' spending your entire time in airports.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM

as girlonthego said Big island is BIG and there is A LOT you could do in Kauai I stayed in Princeville too and I can tell you there is not much to do on that side of the island tell your hubby to take you to:
Kilauea lighthouse
Tour boat cruising along the Na Pali Coast
Waimea Canyon (A MUST)
Kalalau Valley (to do some hiking)
Spouting Horn.
Hope this helps, have a great time
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM

We have been to Kauai twice, and we love it. What I would do if I were staying 4 nights at the Princeville would be to spend the next few nights at the Hyatt in Poipu Beach. The south end of Kauai is totally different than the north. There is plenty to do if you like hiking, etc. Get a copy of "Kauai Revealed" for suggestions.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM

If you spend the three nights at the Hyatt in Poipu, you will get a totally different feel for Kauai. It is very casual there, compared to the formal lobby of Princeville, the rooms all have balconies, to sit and enjoy morning coffee or the sunsets. There is a huge, man made tropical lagoon for swimming, no sharks!!! Lots more restaurants and activities in the area.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Kal

Not even close.

Da Big Island by a mile! :-"
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM

There are so mnay things to see and do on Kauai. We spent 14 days there and still didn't see it all.
My recommendations:
1.Take a helicopter tour to view the untouched valleys with cascading waterfalls and see all the lushness and the coastline.
2.ATV Ranch adventure that goes through woodsy areas and streams on big bikes
3. Movie Tours - See where movies were filmed; and enjoy lunch
4. Sea Tour
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
trippinkpj

We stayed on Kauai a week, and didn't run out of things to do. I liked and agree about the Poipu Beach/ Koloa area also. It's a good spot to explore Waimea from.

Old May 31st, 2006, 06:06 PM

i agree with all the ones that say stay put - you are not really allowing yourself time to go to another island and do it justice. There really is a lot to do on kauai, kayaking, boats, helicopter tours, zipline tours, atv...
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:45 PM

We don't spend time on the beach either and easily filled three days on Kauai. Keep in mind that packing, returning the car, flying, renting another car, and checking it to another hotel will easily eat half a day of your vacation.

With that said, booking a day-tour of Hawaii might be an option. You might consider this option since everyone must see the volcano at some point in their lives.

Mike Honeycutt